Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thinking about an MBA but major obstacle in the way 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

smk7579

Programmer
Aug 10, 2005
US
I have an employer that would pay for 75% of the degree. However, my boss has a GED and 2 of the 4 senior members of the department have merely a high school education. If I go for the MBA, they may see me as a threat and make my life hell or try to get rid of me....EVEN THOUGH the company itself supports further education. The main reason I'm a bit hesitant is there is a senior member of the group with a masters degree and he is at odds with one of the high school grads (who is one of the manager's best friends). I'm not sure if it's because he has so much more education or if it's a personality conflict.

It also requires a 2 year committment of going to school part time while working full time (55-60 hours a week including the commute). I'm wondering if this would all be worth it. This is more attractive to me over the long term than a certification because it never expires. Also, how would I convince these guys that I am not a threat to them if I go in this direction?

It also requires a 2 year committment of going to school part time while working full time (55-60 hours a week including the commute).
As for a commitment and hard work needed to go to school, it is totally up to you. If you think you can do it, and you want to do it, and the company pays most of the cost, then go for it. You decide.

I'm wondering if this would all be worth it.
Well, it depends on what you expect to get from it. If you study hard, and you have some work experience already, you will have added value to yourself as an employee. Can you utilize it right to make more for your company and get your company to pay you more for that? Or can you find a new job that would appreciate it?
Another question to ask is what way do you want/expect to go in your career. If you plan to advance toward management, MBA is the right degree to get. If you think more of a professional, non-managerial advancement, maybe you should check out MS programs.

Also, how would I convince these guys that I am not a threat to them if I go in this direction?
You can't convince them. Because, most likely, you will be a threat to them. You may or may not convince them that you are not aiming at their positions, but you sure are aiming at other senior positions they may or may not want for themselves. Otherwise, what do you expect to get from getting MBA?

Do you have a commitment to your company to stay for some long time after they pay for your education? If so, how long?

If not, and if your life there does become unbearable, can you start looking for another job? At the same or a different company?

The main reason I'm a bit hesitant is there is a senior member of the group with a masters degree and he is at odds with one of the high school grads
Can you once go to lunch with the guy and discuss it over? You might find out something interesting if he wants to share. But in any case, that shouldn't hold you back. You should think of what is best for your own future.

Well, it depends on what you expect to get from it. If you study hard, and you have some work experience already, you will have added value to yourself as an employee. Can you utilize it right to make more for your company and get your company to pay you more for that? Or can you find a new job that would appreciate it?
Another question to ask is what way do you want/expect to go in your career. If you plan to advance toward management, MBA is the right degree to get. If you think more of a professional, non-managerial advancement, maybe you should check out MS programs."

I'd like more of a business background but that doesn't necessarily mean that I want to go into management. There's room to grow in this company. I'm looking at options like project manager, systems analyst, business analyst, marketing research, entreprenuer, consultant, etc. I'm not really a hardcore techie where I am obsessed with code 24/7, which is one reason why I'm looking into a change, and don't think an MS program would suit me unless it is in another field. Also, I would like something else to fall back on in case the IT opportunities dry up.

"You can't convince them. Because, most likely, you will be a threat to them. You may or may not convince them that you are not aiming at their positions, but you sure are aiming at other senior positions they may or may not want for themselves. Otherwise, what do you expect to get from getting MBA?"

These guys don't have a college education so there are fewer options for them unless they transfer to another location in the same company. They have families so they will protect their turf using any means necessary. They have connections within the company so it would be best not appear as though I'm challenging them. I wouldn't stand a chance.

"Do you have a commitment to your company to stay for some long time after they pay for your education? If so, how long?"

I think it's a year or two after the program is over.

"Can you once go to lunch with the guy and discuss it over? You might find out something interesting if he wants to share. But in any case, that shouldn't hold you back. You should think of what is best for your own future."

Well if I eat lunch with this guy, a couple of the other guys get pissed (office politics). He's already told me that the other guys are making him out to look bad because he's more educated. But in their defense, he is a bit lazy.

Well, it seems that MBA does make sense to you.

Now, "These guys don't have a college education so there are fewer options for them unless they transfer to another location in the same company. They have families so they will protect their turf using any means necessary."
So, you do agree that you may be a threat to them.

At the same time, "They have connections within the company so it would be best not appear as though I'm challenging them. I wouldn't stand a chance."
So, apparently, you are not so much of a threat? Don't try to convince anyone in anything. Make it look as if you are getting your degree for some indefinite future possibilities, that's it. Be subordinate, work through the time that you have to stay in your company. Then look for a new job.

But don't hinder your growth and don't lose the opportunities you have because of office politics. Try to appear to be somewhere outside the politics.

I would guess that with education, you might also seek transfer to another location in the same company, or apply for a higher position in another department, and even though you might eventually go higher than they are now, you wouldn't be in their way, since they keep their spots and wouldn't be able to apply for the ones you would be eligible.

You are going to let somebody dictate whether you get an advanced degree because of a perceived notion they will make your life difficult?

But don't hinder your growth and don't lose the opportunities you have because of office politics. Try to appear to be somewhere outside the politics."

"You are going to let somebody dictate whether you get an advanced degree because of a perceived notion they will make your life difficult?"

Some of these guys are pretty slick. These two senior members of the group have made it known that they dont like each other. One guy (Jim) is one of the boss's best friendsand does not have a degree or certs. The other guy (Tom) has a master's degree and upset because he's working for a guy with no degree.

One time Jim was in charge for the day and asked Tom to come in early the next day to do some setups that needed to be done. Jim told him he could leave at 3:00, a couple hours early. Tom shows up early and takes care of it. He leaves at 4:00 (even though Jim told him he could leave at 3). Jim then goes to the IT director and badmouths Jim for leaving "early" (at 4:00). The director didn't know that Jim asked Tom to come in early.

I get along with everyone although it is difficult because they seem to want you to take sides. I don't want to be seen as showing these guys up and end up on the sh*tlist. They can make up any kind of lie(s) that want, back each other up, and hurt my reputation if they choose.

Usually people that come with a question "Should I do this or that" already know what they want to do, they just want some kind of validation of their decision.

What do you think yourself you should do, to get it or pass it?

Do you want people here to talk you into or out of getting an advanced degree?

If you want my opinion, I would say, since you are already working in a serpentarium and handle it somehow, and, it seems, not planning to leave in the nearest future, take an advantage of it. Go for the degree if you think you can do it and while you can do it. You will survive, just as you do now. Then, after a few years, look for a new job and leave your serpentarium.

If you want your opinion, tell me what it is.

Also, if you are not single, take into account the opinion of your spouse/partner. Getting a degree while working full time would take a lot of time and commitment, as you mentioned it yourself, so getting support from your significant other is very important.

Personally, if I had the opportunity to go back to school, and have it 75% paid for by my company, I'd be putting on a letter sweater and grabbing my books!

Let's put it this way. If your boss were to give you TOO much crap because you have a higher education than him, then you have the degree to go somewhere else and probably make more money anyhow.

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Go for the degree! 10 years from now you'll be saying Tom/Jim Who? Who cares what the other guy thinks. Do what's right for you. I don't see them as the obstacle. Your obstacle is the 55 - 60 hour work week.

I'm currently 6 months away from completing a 21 month MBA program. It is TOUGH! I'm 30, married, and have a 3 year old daughter. If you are in a similar situation, you need to have a significant other that is 100% committed to your success. You need to expect an extra 15 hours a week (including class time) at a minimum. Some weeks can easily go in to 20 or 25 hours. There are weeks that I won't see my daughter for 2 or three days! She gets up after I'm gone, and is asleep when I get home. It sucks right now, but the extra effort will be worth it in the end. I don't mean to make it sound so terrible, but this is the reality of it. Just be prepared.

mwa
<><

Usually people that come with a question "Should I do this or that" already know what they want to do, they just want some kind of validation of their decision.

What do you think yourself you should do, to get it or pass it?

Do you want people here to talk you into or out of getting an advanced degree?

If you want my opinion, I would say, since you are already working in a serpentarium and handle it somehow, and, it seems, not planning to leave in the nearest future, take an advantage of it. Go for the degree if you think you can do it and while you can do it. You will survive, just as you do now. Then, after a few years, look for a new job and leave your serpentarium.

If you want your opinion, tell me what it is.

Also, if you are not single, take into account the opinion of your spouse/partner. Getting a degree while working full time would take a lot of time and commitment, as you mentioned it yourself, so getting support from your significant other is very important."

I'm single but it's still a tough decision to make. There is also a significant time investment. I'm in my late 20s now. By the time I'm out, I'll be 30. Do I want to sacrifice the rest of my 20s on school? Of course if I do get tied up in a relationship and happen to get married then I could look back and regret the fact that I didn't go for it. Then again, I do NOT see myself being a "code monkey" for the next 40 years. Programming is a pretty isolating and lonely position. While I enjoy some aspects of it (database design, talking to business people, etc) I just don't have the interest in learning new languages and staying on top of things that I used to.

"I'm currently 6 months away from completing a 21 month MBA program. It is TOUGH! I'm 30, married, and have a 3 year old daughter. If you are in a similar situation, you need to have a significant other that is 100% committed to your success. You need to expect an extra 15 hours a week (including class time) at a minimum. Some weeks can easily go in to 20 or 25 hours. There are weeks that I won't see my daughter for 2 or three days! She gets up after I'm gone, and is asleep when I get home. It sucks right now, but the extra effort will be worth it in the end. I don't mean to make it sound so terrible, but this is the reality of it. Just be prepared."

Congratulations. I'm sure the degree will pay off for you and your family.
I don't have a significant other or kids so that isn't a concern at the present time. I've been through the grind before, I spent about 6 years working full time SHIFT WORK and going to school part time (2-3 classes).. but I lived with others. I live alone now. That said, I think I could pull it off. It would definitely keep me busy, that's for sure.

Thanks for your valuable insights.

Do I want to sacrifice the rest of my 20s on school?

:p~

I just turned 40 in May.

I just signed up for COMPTIA Security+, MCSA, CIISP, and GIAC courses.

You stop learning, you start dying. (I honestly believe this).

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Greg, you're just full of wise words this week! Are you related to Jack Handey?

Programming is a pretty isolating and lonely position. While I enjoy some aspects of it (database design, talking to business people, etc) I just don't have the interest in learning new languages and staying on top of things that I used to.

I'm late to get here, but if this is the way you feel about your job now, I think you should definitely go for the degree. Why sacrifice your future goals out of fear of offending people at a job that you don't even seem to like that much?

A wise man once said
"The only thing normal about database guys is their tables".

Do I want to sacrifice the rest of my 20s on school?

Sacrifice? Well, if so, then you have already sacrificed your childhood and teens on school :). Do you feel it was for nothing and you should have done something better back then instead? :-D

You would be not sacrificing, you will be building up for your future. And you may be sure, there IS life after 20s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back