Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thin Client Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingsforstanley

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2007
US
I'm looking for some advice for thin client solutions for a small/med size organization. Rougly 100 users are going to use a common OS image that will be used with hardware ideal for thin clients. The 3 methods that I am proposing are:

1) VMWare - deploy VM images to each box
2) Terminal Services
3) Citrx in combination with TS

I'd ideally like to go with VMWare because of other capibilites such as server virtualization but, I'm not sure if that is actually a viable solution.

The only complaint that I have with Citrix from past experience is that they still can't seem to get printing to work on a constant basis without using a 3rd party tool.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. In the mean time I will be researching these options and seeing if there are some that I am not aware of.

I think your best bet would be Terminal Services with dummy terminals on the user end. You have a couple choices when it comes to the dummy terminals, you could purchase a Wyse WinTerm or something like it or use existing outdated PC's with something like ThinStation.

The advantages of WinTerm are that it is the size of a small book, uses very little power and is easy to reset if configuration gets messed up. The only disadvantage I see is the cost.

The biggest advantage of ThinStation on existing outdated hardware is the cost while the disadvantage are size, power and possibility of more going wrong with it. (ie NIC, video, sound, cdrom, powersupply goes bad)

Wyse also has an Enterprise Desktop Virtualization solution which allows you to have your desktops virtualized, then you can connect to them via a WinTerm or ThinStation. Of course you could do this with VMware also.

I have used the WinTerms and ThinStations together with Terminal Services and the results are quite nice. Considering the amount of users you will have using this, I suggest you setup multiple Terminal Servers. Using Session Directory, clustering and moving the local profiles to a clustered disk, you can insure that a user will be reconnected to the same server and session if they are disconnected. The will also always have the same desktop and profile because the TS will be using the profiles from the clustered disk. (This is different from Roaming Profiles because if the user logs into a machine other than the Terminals Server cluster, they will not have their profile. That was always the desired effect for my clients anyway.)

LINKS:
Wyse Desktop Virtualization - ThinStation -

I hope that helps.

-Joe

I like the Wyse solutions. Very nice. No moving parts is big plus (depending on the model). Couple it with a beefy TS box, and life is good.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

In our environment, a concrete company, the dust from the cement and flyash will kill a pc.

I pick up Wyse thin clients and my guys use them to conenct to a win2k terminal server ( as win2k3 wont run our legacy app)

Works great and out of about 20 I have, only 1 has gone out in the past 2 years.

Chris
IT Manager
Houston, Texas

Geez I didn't see the date of that last post - sorry.

Chris
IT Manager
Houston, Texas

Are you still looking for a Thin Client Solution?
I know a Successful Company in NY that uses a Number of Thin Solutions- I think a Linux Server is best with Thin Clients and/or Legacy PC's too.
The More Software on the Server- The Better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back