Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thereto or thereof? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelB

Programmer
Feb 9, 2004
GB
Hi All

I work in road safety for a local council and I need to respond to an email received earlier today from a member of the public regarding the speed of vehicles passing through his village. My email contains the sentence:

I am currently in communication with XXXX regarding this issue, with a view to determining the extent of the problem, and the most appropriate solution thereto.

Is 'thereto' the correct word with which to end this sentence? Or should it be 'thereof'? Or is there another better way to word it?

Many thanks

Geraint

The lights are on but nobody's home, my elevator doesn't go to the top. I'm not playing with a full deck, I've lost my marbles. Barenaked Ladies - Crazy

I don't think either word is necessary at the end of the sentence. However, both commas present problems. The comma after issue is unnecessary and should be removed. The comma after problem creates a grammatical problem since the phrase that follows is dependent. I would remove that comma and rework for a parallel construction using infinitives for both verbs.

I am currently communicating with XXXX regarding this issue in order to determine the extent of the problem and to develop the most appropriate solution.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

That's great. Thanks for the help CC.

Geraint

The lights are on but nobody's home, my elevator doesn't go to the top. I'm not playing with a full deck, I've lost my marbles. Barenaked Ladies - Crazy

Agree with CajunCenturion - 'thereof' and 'thereto' are fluff words, and meaning is generally clearest without them. Most often seen in framed formal proclamations done in calligraphy.

Fred Wagner

CajunCenturion's solution works well so take this as an alternate.

I would break it into 2 sentences.

I am currently communicating with XXXX regarding your complaint.
Once the nature and extent of the matter has been identified, an appropriate solution will be put in place.

The above serves 2 purposes.
1 - It does not admit that there is an issue/problem
2 - It communicates that the complaint has been been received and is being investigated.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

The fact that the problem is being investigated doesn't necessarily mean that 'an appropriate solution will be put in place' as there might be found to be no need for one following the investigation.

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

'an appropriate solution' to the perceived problem may be to maintain the status quo.

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

wiktionary suggests that thereto is 'archaic', and i would propose that thereof is as well.

per ardua ad astra

kwbMitel said:
I am currently communicating with XXXX regarding your complaint. Once the nature and extent of the matter has been identified, an appropriate solution will be put in place.
I like kwb's simplifying the original into two, less convoluted pieces. I do, however, suggest your avoiding weak, passive voice in the new, second sentence. [Examples -- Weak, passive voice: "A good time was had by all. Strong: "Everyone had a good time."]

Here is yet another re-write:
Re-write said:
I am currently communicating with XXXX regarding your complaint. We plan to identify the nature and extent of the matter and to propose an appropriate resolution.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Agree with SantaMufasa's Mod of my suggestion. My main focus was to steer away from admitting there is a problem. His gives a better impression overall.

Combined = awesome

==> My main focus was to steer away from admitting there is a problem.
==> 1 - It does not admit that there is an issue/problem

Words do matter. Problem? Issue? Situation? Complaint?
What are the differences in connotation between these:

[li]I am currently communicating with XXXX regarding this complaint.[/li]
[li]I am currently communicating with XXXX regarding this issue.[/li]
[li]I am currently communicating with XXXX regarding this situation.[/li]
[li]I am currently communicating with XXXX regarding this problem.[/li]
After receiving the e-mail, the responder says one of these four things. How do they differ, if at all, in terms of how they reflect on the perceptions and attitudes of the people involved?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

CajunCenturion - As a field technician, I frequently encounter complaints that are not problems or issues. A complaint may or may not be an issue/problem. As such I do not bias my approach to finding a resolution nor do I bias my communication with the customer.

Using the words problem or issue in a communication does convey the impression that a problem or issue exists.

You ask how the following may be different, if at all. I have added a few words to demonstate my point.

I am currently communicating with XXXX regarding this complaint that may or may not be a issue/problem
I am currently communicating with XXXX regarding this issue that may or may not be a issue/problem
I am currently communicating with XXXX regarding this situation that may or may not be a issue/problem
I am currently communicating with XXXX regarding this problem that may or may not be a issue/problem

Naturally, I would not use the added words in my communication but I have added them only to demonstate the difference in meaning. If there were no difference, the sentences meaning would not change by much with my added words. I contend that they do change in the way I am trying to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back