Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

There's no video signal no matter what I do... Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

highrider

Technical User
Feb 15, 2011
TR
Please try to bear with me as this post is a bit long..

Hello all,

OK I know this is a thousand year old question but this is unique in the way it pops out..
So here it goes,

My specs first,
1) Epox 9NPA Ultra+ Mobo
2) Athlon XP 3500+ CPU
3) 1 GB RAM
4) 8800 GTS video card
5) 400 W Silverpower PSU

First time I had the no-signal problem was, after a power outage while watching a movie. Power went off and then I waited for it to come back (There was a spike in the power while I was waiting for the it to come back on btw and power went off instantly again, just to note), when the power came back on I powered on the PC and continued with no probs.( Tomorrow morning, when I turned on the PC the monitor would get no signal at all no matter what I did. But the PC booted and the hard disk loaded the OS. Just no signal from the video card at all.. So I tried everything including;

1) Removing power cable and pressing on button for 30 secs
2) Resetting the BIOS and removing the CMOS battery
3) Removing/moving the RAMs
4) Pulling all the connections out 1 by 1 and try powering on
5) Trying other PSUs to see if the PSU was faulty

But nothing worked so I took it to a service and they told me that my video card (6600 GT back then) was *kind of* faulty meaning it would not work on my PC but it would work on other PCs (?!?) and told me that while it worked on other PCs, it wouldnt mean that it was functional and that it may do the same in other PCs sometime later and advised me to get a new card (because they had tested another PCI-e card on my PC and display was on meaning there was no problems with the PCI-e slot either - I guess-) So I did get a second hand 8800 GTS, plugged it in and voila! It worked without any problems at all.

Then I used the computer for about 2 months UNTIL yesterday where it started to do the same problem out of nowhere (no power outages, no nothing..) No video signal to the computer at all.. I had the old card (6660 GT) lying around so I plugged it in to try it out. It didn't work naturally but the monitor light would turn green for 1-2 seconds before well.. Displaying nothing at all lol.. Then the light would turn yellow. After the second try, it doesnt even do that.

So yeah... This is the problem.. 2 cards and no video signal at all. I dont know how this might help but a couple of thing I noticed this time

1) The PC boots while there is no signal, but I have to press enter at some point for it to continue loading from the Hard drive. Since theres no signal I cant see if theres any message of course.
2) When the PC is booting first the USB mouse and keyboard powers on but after a while their lights goes off and doesnt come back. I dont remember getting this problem first time with the older case.
3) Epox mobo has an on-board diagnostic LED which shows FF (fully functional) after the boot and also it has 3 blue LEDs near RAM slots, CPU and another part I cant remember right now. But they all do light up indicating that there's no problem with those parts either.

While I havent had the chance to try the 8800 GTS with another computer to see if it worked, Im guessing it might since this was the case the first time this problem occured.

This time I cant suspect anything. I mean I am left w/o any thoughts as to what might be wrong, I've tried everything to no avail... It may be the video card, the PCI-e slot, the ram etc etc... I mean what are the odds of this problem happening the second time (I haven't even touched the computer after I plugged the new video card) I cant still pinpoint the problem and I dont have the funds to replace any components anymore. So I'm practically helpless at this point and need my PC for my work.. I would greatly appreciate any comments about this problem. Thank you..

Until you test the card in another PC, to see if it is the card, it would all be conjecture at this time as to what may be the fault...

from what I read, I gather that you are not seeing the POST screen either...

things you may try:

1. unplug the power cord from the PSU, hold down the power button for a minute or so, to drain the capacitors...

2. remove the CMOS battery and leave it out for 10 minutes or so, this will clear the BIOS to the presets (or default) values that the manufacturer has programmed...

3. make sure that all cables going to and from the 8800GTS are attached correctly...

4. switch the DVI port on the 8800GTS, it may just be that simple (some cards have slave dvi ports, which means they are not activated until you tell them to)...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Hello again :)

Yes you are right I am not getting anything at all including the POST screen. I have tried some of the suggestions you pointed and will make sure to leave the CMOS battery longer just to make sure its not about the BIOS. I'll post my results here thank you

I have stumbled upon another advice which may be the cause of all this: PSU - I'd be grateful if you could comment on that;

Turns out that my PSU does not meet the minimum requirements for my card (8600 GTS)
Silverpower SP-400p1b has 18A Amperage output on the +12 volts rail while 8600 GTS requires between 22-30A (changes from source to source so Im not exactly sure of the value but it is definitely above my PSU's specs) on the +12 volts rail. However considering that I have been using this card for about 2 months, do you think that this shortage may be the cause of this fail?

Yes, it could, as electronic devices age (here the PSU) they loose some of their efficiency, thus under powering the nVidia card...

unplug the power cable to the card, and then power on the PC, the card should balk and let you know that it is not hooked up to the PSU, it will display a message to that effect on the monitor...

but it can't hurt to upgrade the PSU to at least 500W with a 12V rail in that range you described...

Ben

Yes I am suspecting that it is either a bad PSU or a failed PCI-e slot but since I am not still sure of either I can't afford to buy a PSU and see that it doesn't work :/

Since there is no video signal at all to the monitor, unfortunately I can't see a message even if I unplug the power cable cord to the graphics card.

Is there any way that I can test the PCI-e slot for failures?

Is there a possibility to borrow a PSU, say from a friend, or borrow another card?

as to testing the PCIe 16x slot, unfortunately only involving adding a known working GFX card, other than that not really, unless you have the tools (probes and other testing equipment) and the docs (schematics, etc.) covering that mainboard....

Ben

Help, I am getting “no signal” These are the things I have tried.
8 months Asus motherboard with 750 W PS
The computer boots up & runs by the lights, 2 different HDs & systems
changed monitor, tried different video cables
tried 2 different Video cards from working computers
measured voltage in power cables
Is there anything else I can check before I have to pull the motherboard?

clear cmos per manual, but no, sounds about right. Also, it's better to start a new thread, and not Hijack another.

You could try a pci video card, also have a close look at your
motherboard capacitors and look for any distortion don't want to appear negative but wouldnt be the first Epox board to go down with bad caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back