Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

There is not enough free memory to run this program 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepalm

Technical User
May 28, 2001
NZ
I am running Win98 SE with 128MB ram, I am having problems with Outlook Express 6.0 "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSiMN.exe. There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more programmes then try again."

I have updated IE ^ with SP1 and still having problems.

Thanks

Tony

Howdy:

Clean out your temp and temp internet folders and try again..

Murray

128 Mb of RAM should be plenty for this;
I suggest you try to disable some of the programs launching at startup - it is possible these are robbing you of your resources.
Look in msconfig and your startup folder.
If you are unsure how to do this, post back. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

All programs are closed and I have cleaned out temp folders, still crashes!!

Thanks

What programs do you have running when you press CTRL/ALT/DEL..

Howdy:

Well, according to Microsoft, you can install more ram, get a larger hard-drive or increase the amount of virtual memory available (larger hard-drive or remove programs)..

Murray

The first thing I would do is check the Win386.swp file. Do a search on your hard drive (make sure you have all files showing because this one is considered a protected system file).

Once you find it, right-click it and go to properties. Make sure the read-only attribute is not checked. If it was, uncheck it, hit OK, and reboot. OE6 should open fine now.

If this wasn't the problem, then scan your entire hard drive for viruses. There are a couple out there that can cause this kind of damage to OE6. If you don't find anything, I suggest posting in "Email Issues" forum at this site.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

I will try all suggestions and let you know how I get on, (computer is at work)

Thanks

Gents, RAM and resources are 2 different things!
You can't throw RAM at low resources and up 'em.
Especially in Win98: resources refers to a relatively small area of memory allocated to run things...AND IT CAN NOT BE CHANGED! It's the OS in charge of things.
Here's a link with 1 explanation...

Go to the maintenance tab in OE, Tools/Options/maintenance tab from the pulldown menu inside OE and do the cleanup and compression. IF you use your OE as a newsreader, it can really bloat up.
Do you have lots of "stuff" in My Documents? It can drag your whole system down...and could be draining resources.

how many messages do you have in your inbox and deleted items causes memory overflow if it is to big

Good post Gargouille,

I agree that alot of people get RAM and resources confused and that linked article will help clear up alot of confusion... Enkrypted
A+
Let others know how much help they are by marking the helpful posts.

Great answer gargouille:

However, I have to differ.. The problem is NOT a mtter of low resources..

Once again, here is the fix as stated by Microsoft as well as the workaround..

CAUSE
These problems occur when Microsoft Windows is configured to manage virtual memory, which is the default setting. When you attempt to start one of the Office programs, Windows attempts to load the program into RAM. If there is not enough RAM available, Windows attempts to make RAM available by moving code from RAM to the hard disk (virtual memory). In low disk space situations, Windows may not be able to claim enough hard disk space for this operation to be successful. In this case, you may receive the error messages described in this article.

WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, do any of the following:
Add more RAM to the computer.
Acquire more hard disk space (either by adding a larger disk drive or by using a disk compression utility).
As a short-term solution, make more RAM available by shutting down unneeded programs, or make more disk space available by deleting unneeded files.NOTE: The hard disk that needs to have the free space is the one that Microsoft Windows is using for virtual memory. Microsoft Windows or Microsoft Office may not be installed on this hard disk.

MORE INFORMATION
To view virtual memory settings, right-click My Computer, click Properties, and then click the Performance tab. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Virtual Memory button in Advanced settings.

To view available free disk space, on your desktop double-click My Computer icon. In the list of available drives, right-click the drive, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.

Murray

Sesask:
Am enjoying this discussion, but I find myself wishing tvale would post back with an update on the sichiation....

However, so that we may both be on the "same page" in the discussion...plz refer me to the link you're quoting.
What I'm looking for is the page header...

If I might put my two cents in,let me suggest you control the virtual memory insteat of windows.Put in the min and max windows 12mb more than your physical memorywhich in your stated case would be 128 +12 =140mb.Ignore the warning that is designed to scare you and give it a try.

Sorry to reply so log, I have been away from my email, I have tried all suggestions and still have the problem with Outlook, I have purchase a new P4 computer running XP Pro and Installed OE 6 with SP1, imported all email and have had no more problems.

Thanks for all replies.

Hi tvale:
Glad ya' got your problem taken care of and thanks for posting back!
Hope you don't need advice anytime soon LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back