Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

there is no sound device in my computer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulnaoar

Technical User
Jun 8, 2005
CA
Hi, my computer tells me that there is no sound device, what does it means, it was working fine before, and then today I couldn't even see the volume icon in the task bar. Any help is much appreciated!

Have you tried having Windows search for the sound hardware? Or, if you have integrated sound, perhaps it got turned off in the BIOS? It seems that if you had sound before that your hardware has either been disabled, or uninstalled somehow. Perhaps if you give some more info we can help better.

How do I let Winddows do the search for sound hardare. I was wonddering maybe the driver needs to be reinstalled.

Thanks for your help!

Use the "add hardware" wizard in the control panel to let Windows search for any devices that are not installed. You can also check in the device manager to see if your sound hardware is listed there.

You might try a power cycle as a first step. It might find it on the next bootup.
Do you know what kind of sound device you have? On the M/B or an expansion card?
If it is an expansion card it is quite possible that the drivers need to be re-installed. You might find the device hiding in the other devices group if the drivers have corrupted.
How about some further info on M/B, sound device, and OS?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I tried windows search, but it didn't find any new hardware.

What do you mean by "a power cycle", you mean restart the computer? I already did that, but didn't help.

My OS is Windows XP, and it's an expansion card, I will try to find the right driver and give it a try.

Thanks for all your help!

List the mfg and model number of your computer, and maybe we can help. Onboard soundcards need mfg drivers, so you could start there.

So far, the hardest drivers to find have been for modem/soundcards combinations. There are a lot that are avaiable, but it seems like only one will work.

Look in Device Manager, and look for yellow Exlamation Point symbols.

Tell us what shows up in yellow!

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back