Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

There is a red X on the speaker down by the clock - Windows 10 1703 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_F

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2018
US
I have 2 Windows 10 (1703) Professional computers (Dell Inspiron 3668) with a very strange issue. There is a red X on the speaker down by the clock... When I click on it Windows Troubleshooter says no speakers are plugged in... they are... Windows does not even see the internal speaker... I have removed and installed the Reltek driver.... I even went as far as to do a clean reinstall of Windows on one of the PCs... I would think it is a hardware issue but I have multiple computers with the same issue... All help is much appreciated

I would start by double checking the BIOS and make sure that the onboard audio isn't disabled. See if there is a firmware update that may deal with that issue.

Did you have any other OS installed on here before W10? Did these Red X's just appear out of nowhere or did you notice after a reinstall of the OS?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

What internal speaker? If you are talking one in the case or one on the motherboard, it will not. not connected to a sound card and most modern computer do not even have them anymore. If you are talking about a monitor, If they are connected with HDMI , make sure you are selecting the correct Sound device in windows, it would be HDMI digital from the Video card, and not using the sound card.

As rclarke has said, I don't believe the Dell Inspiron 3668 has an internal speaker - so that explains why Windows does not see it. Does not explain why external sound is not working though. Have you run the sound troubleshooter?

Sorry I didn't clarify better.... I am talking about the speaker on the motherboard... I updated the Bios per DrB0bs suggestion and I now have sound from the motherboard but when I plugin a headset or aux speakers I have no sound at all... ran the windows troubleshooter again and i get the following: Windows may not have detected hardware changes FIXED "green check mark" below that it says Speakers/Headphones are unplugged "Red "x

You are using Windows 10 64 bit, correct?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

No problem....
Yes I just reinstalled again for good measure... still the same issue

Untitled_tl68zi.png

Are you plugging the speakers/headphones in the front or back audio jack? Assuming both have the same result.

Double check that they are enabled via this video:

Sorry for the late Reply.... Just wanted to let you guys know that with the ---->Bios<---- update and a host of back logged windows 10 updates finally applied to all the PCs..... I can say the issue is resolved.
Thanks again for all your help.

You guys rock!!!![deejay]

Thanks for letting us know what fixed your issue. Glad you are good to go.

Too many people will update windows 10 (because it forces you), but will neglect BIOS and firmware updates that are available on the vendors website. I check every quarter for all the vendor updates and I literately can't remember the last time I had trouble with my workstation.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back