Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Zimbabwe Kilo$ Crisis - Lets Chat and Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimson123

Programmer
Nov 11, 2003
ZW
Hallo Gurus, hope I find you well. Let us all team up and help our Ellipse and MIMS counterparts in Zimbabwe. Because of the hyper-inflationary environment they find themselves in, their central bank has slashed 3 zeros from every monetary demonination effective 01 Aug 2006. So what was ZWD$1000,000.00 is now supposed to be ZWD$1,000.00 etc. Zimbabwe clients on MIMS and Ellipse are in a dilemma and Mincom South Africa is virtually clueless as to how to approach the problem system wise. To date fixes given have addresed the sysmptoms eg slashing zero's on output documents (RDL's) such as customer statements and cheques while still transacting in the old currency which has since ceased to be legal tender. Let us team up and help Zimbabwe. I had proposed division of finance fields by 1000 to my friend in Zimbabwe. Any risks in this OR is a full conversion the panacea?

Have you thought about not doing a data conversion and starting a fresh from the new month???
There has been similar changes (i.e. when GST was introduced in Australia July 2000) where there wasn't necessarily any modifications to existing data.

My gut feeling is not to modify existing data, but I'm no finance expert. However whether you modify existing data or not, what happens if someone wants to reverse a financial transaction from before the change? I would imagine it could be too easy to credit either 1000 times too much or too little.

Could you set up another currency unit, to be used from the changeover date? If so perhaps that could handle the rate conversion across the changeover date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back