Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
...User profile cannot be loaded.

I am using a dual-boot system with Windows 10 & Ubuntu. And I have for sometime now without a problem.
Maybe the newest thing I installed has something to do with this (?). It was Ext2Fsd
This morning I switched to Win10. Using Grub2, I believe I chose "Windows UEFI bkpbootmgfw.efi".
Only to find this message as a result of trying to login with my usual PIN #. Then I switched to use my password, and it worked. However, everything continued loading very, very slow. Slower than usual that's for sure. Once it seemed stable, I noticed the Windows key was not available. Also Ext2fsd had not loaded on its own, so I manually made it run. I logged off, but this time even with my password it would not log me in. I rebooted, but this time I chose "Windows Boot UEFI Loader", this started an Automatic Repair.
Windows started doing some fixings, and said it would be over an hour. It really only was a few minutes. Unfortunately the problem persists.

Other people have advised to gain access to another Win10 installation (on PC or a USB drive), to copy the c:/Users folder and replace the one in your pc.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,

JDL

It sounds like you have a bad mess on your hands. At this point, the suggestion you mentioned may not hurt, since you at least have it narrowed down to the user profile. Perhaps you could get to the command line options outside of windows, simply add a new user there, and then see if you can log into that new user account. I'm thinking you could use the net user set of commands to accomplish that much. And I think that would take less work.

If it ends up being you need a different way to dual/multi-boot, you might want to check out a different tool to help. I've only installed it full out for one person. The reason there was to have better backup/restore options since they were a LONG way away, and I wasn't about to drive to help them (I'm talking 15 or 20 hour driving trip if I went).

I used this company's software to setup partition management and also their windows backup software:

I have always wanted to test a multi-boot setup with it myself for mixing Windows, Linux, maybe some others like BeOS. Maybe one day I'll find the time. [smile]

The rason Windows repair may not have worked could be that it's trying to repair the boot setup, and since it's likely only thinking about the Windows OS, could be a tiny quirk here or there between the two.

The way the software I linked to works, they take care of boot management, and give you a way to select a default OS to boot to, then numeric options (best I remember) to select the others.

The one thing I don't know is how well it works with Windows 8/10 and UEFI.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

You also have the option of setting up the boot options as "legacy boot" instead of UEFI on most motherboards if you have problems with the UEFI boot.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back