Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Use of the "where", "in()" and ":" in PROC SQL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubinell

Technical User
Oct 21, 2008
JP
As far as I know, the in operator and the colon operator modifier work splendidly before, during and after a datastep. What I mean is that the following three statements all work (albeit slightly differently):

Code:
data test2;
set test;
where textnumber in:('1','2');
run;

Code:
data test2;
set test (where= (textnumber in:('1','2'));
run;

Code:
data test2(where= (textnumber in:('1','2'));
set test;
run;

However, it appears that such is not the case in PROC SQL. In the 2 codes below, only the second one works.

Code:
proc sql;
create table test2 as
select * 
from test 
where textnumber in:('1','2')
;
quit;

Code:
proc sql;
create table test2 as
select * 
from test 
(where=(textnumber in:('1','2')))
;
quit;

Am I correct? And if so, why is that????

Finally, how do you make this code work:

Code:
proc sql;
create table test2 as
select *
from test (where=(textnumber in:(select longtextnumber from test0 where longtextnumber ne ' ')))
;
quit;

The second SQL example works because it is basically a dataset option, which is treated exactly the same way as your second datastep example.
I thought the first one would have worked too, however a quick experiment reminded me that you can't use the : operator in an SAS/SQL where clause. You need to use "LIKE" instead.
Code:
   where textnumber like '1%'
      or textnumber like '2%'

You third SQL example that you want to make work is the bastard child of a datastep option and an SQL subquery.

Code:
proc sql;
  create table test2 as
  select *
  from test
  where textnumber in(select longtextnumber 
                      from test0 
                      where longtextnumber ne ' ')
  ;
quit;
If longtextnumber is different in some way to TEXTnumber and needs some work to make it match, preform this in the subquery...
Code:
proc sql;
  create table test2 as
  select *
  from test
  where textnumber in(select substr(longtextnumber,1,5) 
                      from test0 
                      where longtextnumber ne ' ')
  ;
quit;
or something similar should do the trick.
Don't do too much in the subquery, if the subquery is BIG it'll give you a serious hit in performance.
If you think it might be a problem, try splitting the query in 2 and joining the results in a simpler piece of code, you can sometimes get significant performance improvements like this.

Chris
Business Analyst, Code Monkey, Data Wrangler.
SAS Guru.

Thank you Chris. You've been most helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back