Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The things you learn...adjusting task start dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwschiek

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2003
US
Just thought I would share what I learned today, in my moment of triumph!

I inherited a 650+ task project plan from a terminated project manager.

I was pulling my hair out trying to get the plan to reflect reality by adjusting task working dates and the linking of tasks. I would set the start date to the desired date, and the task wouldn't move on the Gantt chart! I would link tasks and they would still not move!

Here is what I found fixed the problem. The following is a combination of my own discoveries and several tips found on here in Tek-Tips:

1. Display the "Constraint Type" and "Constraint Date" columns. This allowed me to quickly discover where the previous PM had needlessly constrained various tasks.

2. Tasks with a %Complete value still wouldn't move. This is by design and makes sense when you think about it. To get around this issue, I linked the task as needed, displayed the "% Complete" column, noted the % Complete, then entered zero as % Complete. The task would then move as desired (based on the linking). I would then change % Complete back to the real value.

I hope that this will save someone the needlessly wasted hours I spent trying to resolve this issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back