Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The template I am using is all messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

laydog

Technical User
Feb 26, 2007
US
I am trying to build a homepage using the "Three Column Left Nav" template in DW 8. However, whenever I upload it to the server the format is completely wrong. It all seems to be left aligned (even though it's not). I even tried uploading a blank template (one I didn't change anything on) and it does the same thing. Here is the link to the wrong one.
I appreciate your help!!!

Looks like you haven't uploaded your CSS file yet

Steam Engine Prints

What do you mean? I uploaded everything in the folder that contained the website from my computer to the web server. Is there a seperate file I am missing? If so where would I find it?

As johnwm pointed noted, your css file is referenced in your page as
Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="../../Macromedia/Dreamweaver/Install/Dreamweaver 8/Configuration/BuiltIn/PageDesigns/styles/3col_leftNav.css" type="text/css" />
whcih is not found in your site structure.

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Ok I follow you so far... no where will I be able to find the file and where on the site would I upload it to?

Thanks guys, it's starting to make sense to my simpleton mind.

Use the Search facility (Start button|Search in XP) to look for "3col_leftNav.css". Generally I put my css files in the root directory of the site, so simply copy the file that you find into the local root directory for the site. Then upload to your server as normal. Don't forget to change the reference in your all your pages that use the CSS like this:
Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="3col_leftNav.css" type="text/css" />

Steam Engine Prints

I got it now... the files were in the root directory on the server but the code was pointing to a file on my PC. No idea why, but once I changed it it worked like a champ.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back