Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The tape is ejected abnormally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acenut

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2007
CN
I have a DLT-VS80 internal tape drive, which is installed into a DELL PE-1600SC server.
The OS is Microsoft Windows 2000 Server.
The backup software is CA ARCserve Backup Ver9.0 for Windows.
In originally, the tape drive is working properly.
After I uninstall and reinstall the CA ARCserve Backup. It's problem, now.
When I push the tape into the drive. It's ejected automatically, after around 1 minutes.
Now, I can not read any tapes that I backed up before.
Could you please give me any advice ?
Many thanks !!

It is possible that the drive has swallowed the leader. So it isn't actually loading the tape. Do you get any solid or blinking LED's on the front of the drive?

Andy

Hi: TekAndy
Many thanks for your advice !
I noticed, the LEDs are same as the normal working.
Depending on the LEDs, I can not find any different status and valuable information.

Is the backup software seeing the unit? I'm not familiar with your setup, but I do know that with some software packages, you need to go into the windows device manager and disable the drive. This allows the for the use of the backup package device drivers instead of the windows device drivers.

Andy

Hi: TekAndy

1) In generally, the "Startup Type" of "Removable Storage" service in MS-Win2K-Server has been turned to "manual" instead of "auto". That means, it will not be started automatically.
Are there any other "service" or "program" need be stopped, too ?

2) Another side, I've tried 1 time, that stop all the CA-ARCserve services. And, start all the MS-Win2K-Server services.
Then use the internal backup program of MS-Win2K-Svr.
But, it seems the same condition.
All the tape can not be recognized by the drive. When you inject the tape cartridge into the drive, it will be ejected automatically after around 3 min.

3) So, I think, this problem may not related with the Backup Software. It may shows the hardware problem of the Tape Drive, doesn't it ?
Regardless which software we use, at least, the tape cartridge should be held in the drive, not be ejected automatically. Am I right ?

Thank you very much for your time !!

The drive may have a write/read problem. Have you tried running a cleaning tape? Not sure what else to tell you without actually looking at the drive. You might call Pinetree Peripherals if you want someone to look at it. Their number is (303)776-5066 and ask for Michael.

Andy

Hi: Andy,

1) Although, the cleaning LED has never lighted. But, I still have injected the cleaning-tape into the drive before. The condition is same as the normal tape cartridge. (After 3 minutes, it will be ejected automatically.)

2) I'm in Shanghai, China. Where is the Pinetree located ?

Thanks !!

If you like, call Pinetree and talk to Michael Ramey. Tell him that Andy referred you. They might be able to do an advance swap, on that VS80.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back