Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'The table links for this database are not valid' message

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechMaven

Programmer
Oct 28, 2010
US
I was making extensive changes to a database regarding the tables. I renamed a whole bunch of tables and then deleted some. Now I have a message 'The table links for this database are not valid'. I deleted all the table links from the front end then relinked all and still got the message. Finally I created a brand new database and imported all the objects from the old database. Then relinked all the tables. I still get the message. I'm at my wits end! This has never happened to me before in 10 years of working with Access. Anyone got any ideas what could be happening? This is Access 2003 and a split database.
Further update:
I created a brand new front and back end and imported all the objects. I deleted all the links from the (brand new) front end. I then tried to compact and repair the front end then immediately got the message 'The table links for this database are not valid'. I went to tools--linked table manager and it said 'no linked tables in database'. I then re-established all links and again attempted to compact and repair - got same message 'The table links for this database are not valid'. Using the front-end links, I can open and view all the tables. I have run out of ideas. Help/suggestions needed.

Have you compacted and repaired your backend?

Can you create a new database and link to the tables and it work?

OK I found the problem. It was in the Startup form. Putting this form in Tools--Startup caused the problem so I looked at the form's code. The message was not coming from Access but from some error-handling code in this form:

Error_CheckVersion:
If Err = -2147217900 Then
MsgBox "The table links for this database are not valid.", vbExclamation, "Invalid Table Links"
DoCmd.Quit
Else
MsgBox Err.DESCRIPTION
GoTo Exit_CheckVersion
End If

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back