Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Sytem Cannot Find the drive specified error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamYSA

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
AU
Hi, this is strange. I run SOHO network of three computers through a wireless router. 2 computers run Windows XP, the other Vista. We share data on by mapping the hard drive on one of the XP computers. Most time this works perfectly but recently I have had a problem accessing it through the Vista computer.

I map the drive as J: using My Computer. On the Vista computer I can see and browse the drive through windows explorer, including opening and saving files. But when I try and access the drive via the MS-DOS prompt I get the error message "The system cannot find the drive specified". The other XP computer has no problem accessing J:

I have tried re-boooting, doing a power down cycle with the router, shutting down the firewall.

I hope someone can help, this function is essential for some legacy DOS software we run.

Thanks

Have a look in here and see if a "J" is mentioned. Perhaps a USB or Camera or similar has grabbed "J"?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Change or Delete System Drive Letter via Registry to Remove Conflict USB or FireWire Drive Letter

It is best practice to assign Mapped Drives as "Z" and work backward from there.

Does it make any difference if you use an elevated Command Prompt in addressing the Mapped Drive?

Thanks for your post. No, J: is not mentioned in the registry entry. Infuriatingly I cannot test anything else at the moment because today I do not get the error message. Nothing in the system set-up was changed overnight. Go figure!

Maybe the intermittent nature of the issue is a clue?

Some funny connecting faults have been solved from time to time by disabling IPV6 (on Windows 7 or Vista). I only mention that and do not suggest that it would help in this case.

If as you say the fault is intermittent then checking out hardware, cabling, connections, etc. may be a better option.

If it was a persistent type of fault then I would suggest trying another user from Normal Mode, or the current user from "Safe Mode with Networking".

Further diagnosing via this.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Thanks Linney, I will try the IPv6 next time I have the problem. I am reasonably certain it is not a cable/hardawre issue as I have no problem accessing the network drive over windows, it is juts through DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back