Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's compu

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorwilliams2

Programmer
Mar 3, 2003
US
I have run into a problem logging a workstation into my domain. I changed the name / network identification of this machine prior to the problem starting.

My workstation is running Windows 2000 Professional and my Primary Domain Controller is running Windows NT.

When I try logging on from the workstation I receive the following message prompt: "The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's computer account in it's primary domain is missing or the password on the account is incorrect."

When I try to view the properties of this workstation from my PDC I get the following: "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed".

Any ideas?

Are you using Active Directory? If so, try deleting that machine account from your directory and re-adding it.

(I'm also assuming that you added the new machine's name in Active Directory when you changed it)

<?legalstuff
The above is my opinion only and should not be construed as the opinion of my employer.
?>

Originally I had just changed the workstations name and realized something was'nt working right when I tried to log back in and could'nt.

After that I tried adding it's name into the directory but continued to get the same results.

After getting your reply I tried deleting and re-adding the workstations account but I am still getting the same results.

revert the workstation back to workgroup. on the dc, bi the machine account. then rejoin.

if this fails, search this forum or the server forum as there is a tool you can use (from memory).

the top bit worked for me when i did the same thing.

Hi! I encountered this same problem with a customer machine. Try deleting the computer account on the server, and rejoining the domain from the workstation. You will be prompted for an account with sufficient rights to add a computer to the domain, so will need to be able to log on as an admin. I found this worked perfectly!

Good luck!

Ravemeister

Stole this from another post. :p

enable netBIOS over TCP/IP and also copy over the the Host and LMhost files. They said it worked after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back