Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Swatches palette default color names

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeacefulWarrior

Technical User
Mar 1, 2008
Hi,

I'm using Illustrator CS3 and I have a problem with the default colors in the Swatches palette.

Basically, every time I brush my cursor over the colors, I get names like C=85 M=10 Y=100 K=10 instead of sunshine, or C=75 M=0 Y=75 K=0 instead of peridot, proper color names that I should see.

Please help me out to display the right name settings since it will be easier for me to do my work. My Illustrator level is basic as I only took an introductory course, but will get better as I intend to put many hours of practice.

Thanks in advance.

...when you double click a swatch color, what is in the swatch name field of that color...

...if it says 'sunshine' and the hover doesn't say 'sunshine', verify you are actually over the correct color and if you are, double click it to check that the swatch name really is 'sunshine'...

...otherwise, if illustrator is playing up a bit, you can try deleting the preferences file to be rebuilt on launch...

Andrew

Deleted the Aiprefs with Illustrator closed, when I reopened, nothing happened as far the color naming is concerned.

When I double-click it gives me swatch name option as C=85 M=10 Y=100 K=10. No sunshine mentioned anywhere, whatsoever.

I'm beginning to lose hope ...

...then if the swatch name is percentage values you need to rename it to 'sunshine' or the name of your choosing...

...then when you hover over the swatch it will give you that name rather than the percentages...

Andrew

o.k., so where can I find a list with all colors so that I name them the way they're suppossed to be named individually, instead of using my imagination.

Maybe you could email me your AIPrefs file and the Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings folder, so that I can replace mine with the working ones.

Please let me know if you'd be comfortable with that. I just wanna do a website, a project I've been putting off for a while, that's it.

...the default swatches for a print document are pretty much all named in percentage values of ink...

...to change them you need to do that manually via double click...

...from your initial post i gathered you were having trouble with swatches you had named yourself, so the suggestion was to try trashing the prefs...

...it has sinced dawned on me you are really refering to colors that already exist in the palette...

...so to customize swatches you have to do that manually...

Andrew

...also to add, if your project is for a website, you need to be in an RGB document really, not cmyk, so select Web from the new document profile in the new dialog pull down menu...

Andrew

o.k., I see ... thanks !!!

I think Adobe decided for the C=? M=? Y=? K=? in CS3. The course I took in college had CS2, so I guess nothing I can do.

Thanks Andrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back