Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The strangest proxy problem!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwarmuth

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2001
CA
I am having a really bizarre problem with a computer at a client site.

The computer is running Windows ME with all the current updates. The problem is that it won't seem to connect to the internet through the proxy server at that site. I say "that" site, because we have brought it in for bench testing and by only changing the proxy server address it connects to the net just fine through a different server.

The puzzler is that networking connectivity is working pefectly fine. I can browse the network and send and recieve files to the server.

Now I know you are thinking that it must be a config issue; ei. wrong server address or something. But I have been through the internet options with a fine tooth comb, and everything is where it should be in regards to proxy info. It has the same config that 12 other computers on the same network are using without any problems.

Network info:
W2K Server running Proxy 2.0
Providing the client files for install

I know that it's not an IP issue cause I can ping other computers inside the network, and I know that data transfer is okay. Hooking another computer up to the same wall jack shows that nothing is wrong with the port. It's so strange. This computer on this network won't connect to the net, but switch networks, change the proxy address and it works fine. The config is the exact same as other computers running the same OS version and browser version.

I can't figure it out!

does the user you are logged on with to the problem pc have permissions to the web proxy? do you have a group setup that has access to the web proxy, winsock proxy? and is the user your logged in with a member of this group...

Win2k was not designed for Proxy 2. Yes, it can be installed on it but the results for many, many people are unpredictable.

doesn't look like you're running SBS but there is a chapter in this doc on setting up proxy on an XP client. It may help

I know I had trouble with one Win2K Professional client. The mspclnt file on the client needed to be deleted and replaced rather than overwritten. I found the solution in this Document's version for adding 2K clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back