Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The smalest duplicated system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghoulam

Technical User
Feb 8, 2012
DZ
Hy everybody

Everything is in the subject.
What is the smalest duplicated telephone system, I mean which company make small systems duplicated, because in Alcatel and Ericsson I know that ther are used for large systems as MD110 or OXEntreprise.

Kind regards

Alcatel also make small systems? Do you mean redundancy?

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Hi there,

E-Metrotel makes 3 different platforms of a Key/PBX setup.

What impresses me with this system is that it has been developed by Nortel engineers and closely ties together features available on Norstar, BCM, SL-1, Meridian One, Meridian Succession and CS1000 all in one platform. E-metrotel now has an SRG solution that works with CS1000 switches. They also have been further developing Call Center Support for Nortel switches.

Phones can operate exactly like BCM phones or they can be programmed to act like Meridian/CS1000 phones whether you have 5 users or 5,000 users.

So let's say you have a small 5 user doctors office and you want the system to resemble the larger host office (a hosptial with CS1000). You can buy a UCx switch with 5 users and set the phones up to work directly like the host office. You can also set up the 5 phones as SRG sets/Remote Office workers tied to the host system's external IP address.

Say the main hospital Uses 11xx series IP phones, you can set up the small doctor's office to resemble the exact 11xx phones with the same features and functionality as the host system. Why is this good? In the past, large hospitals with Meridian Succession/CS1000 have installed Norstar or BCM switches at their remote locations. Us Nortel people know that the Norstar/BCM phones operate on a completely different format and code than a larger PBX, the BCM lacks advanced ring tones, Internal Music on Hold, Advanced CLID functions, etc, while on the other hand the larger PBX sometimes has very complex commands. The UCx leverages the existing Nortel product and allows you to have phones that operate like the larger PBX phones or the smaller BCM Feature code platform in multiple locations.

Joe

Joseph Sus-Nortel Installer/Programmer

You're right english is not my native language.

I mean is there any small PBX that have duplicated CPU (for let's say 50 users), or if you want redondancy.
Because for me redondancy is for power mainly, but it seems like I'm wrong.

Thanks Joe for your answer it was very intresting.

When it comes to survivability and scalability the isuue is generally Cost.

Fuctionality is important too.

One end of the scale is a simple asterisk box on whatever hardware you like

At the other end are Virtualized IP based phone systems.

The country you are in will set some limits as well. You want to be dealing with local people with local hardware.

Not in the Subject line:
Budget
Infrastructure - Parameters within which the system must fuction
Country

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

to have survivability you need to definitely look at an IP based system because there is no such thing in the digital world except if you have another system on the shelf that you can quickly install should your main one go down.
Asterisk system was mentioned and that is what I have in mind. Scoptel is the system and you can have two systems running on two servers and all phones and devices register to the main server and should the heartbeat stop between teh systems the secondary system takes over all functionality of the main system. You cannot make any changes to the secondary system as it is only a mirror of the main system but it will keep your programming the way it was when the main box died.
You have to license both systems but that is not really that bad, you have to have proper hardware for both systems as well and make sure you have a good network in place for IP telephony.

I like the system it is very flexible and granular in the programming so you can make a lot of things happen with it.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS

Thanks to all for you contributions

I'm sorry but in the digital world redondancy is done on many systems. In Alcatel you have OXE, in Ericsson (Aastra) you have Mx-One, I'm sure there is one Hipath also in Siemens.
The problem is that this systems are usually designed for large capacities systems more than 200 or 300 hundred users, they can be used for 50 or less users but the prices are very expensive.
Maybe the best system I found is LG-Ericsson IPECS-LIK, but it's an IP based system, I was looking for a digital one.

Try Panasonic.They do not support duplication but they are so reliable that redundancy is not required.Have never seen one fail yet.
Their price is affordable and we do have sites with two identical system that we are keeping as a redundatnt system but as mentioned before have never seen one fail yet.

I know and I totally agree with you that Panasonic has very reliable products, I've never seen a panasonic down too, but the customer need a redondant system, and not two systems, only one but redondant, because he needs that the redondancy must be automatic with no loss of communication.

In this case,an IP pbx is not a proper choice unless you consider network redundancy too.

Hi Ghoulam,

You hit it on the head with the Ericsson-LG iPECS. Once you get to the mfim 100 it has full redundancy of CPU. redundant power supply is available when using the rack chassis. There are also digital modules available although I have found using the ip phones works out around the same price when you consider the cost of the module. CPU redundancy is instant as far as I know and when on same site uses same licenses.

Cody64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back