Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

the size ofpagefile.sys 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cisco2511

ISP
Feb 6, 2001
US
i have windows 2000 professional loaded on my network.i have put the pagefilesize as 128+12mb on the C drive as recommended in 2000 manual.i have not created any pagefile on the d and e drives.
would increasing the size of the pagefile enable users to have better performance also can i create pagefiles on the other drives (d and e )and will it yield any better performance?
Thanks in advance
kcp

On servers I generally stick to the rule 2.5x physical RAM.

I put an amount equal to the actual size of physical RAM on the root partition (so that I can get full memory dumps), and the remainder on another drive/partition.

The size is always fixed, so that the pagefile is not constantly dynamically adjusted by Windows - which is the biggest hit a pagefile gives, incidentally.

This is just the way I set pagefiles - and some of my reasoning.

To see whether this setup would improve performance in your organisation, I would recommend running monitoring tools, such as perfmon, before and after adjustments.

I hope this helps

I thought the rule was to keep the pagefile.sys on any drive but not on the same as the operating system.

There are many "rules" governing the page file.

You won't get the same answer from any 2 tech people.

The best way is the way that works best for you.

I can see the logic in keeping the page file completely separate from the O/S partition - that's how UNIX does it. However, Windows requires at least a small chunk (2Mb, I think) to be in the root, or performance suffers.

Like I say, set it up different ways and benchmark the results. The real test is when you use it over time.

:)

My recommendation would be to use a sliding scale because after about 1GB of RAM a swap file using the 2.5*RAM formula becomes an unnecessary overhead IF THE APPS DONT NEED IT. Obviously if the apps need it then you run need more, so add more RAM! Sounds obvious but the number of servers I have seen struggling on the same RAM as most workstations is amazing...RAM is cheap and fast, disk space aint, so load 'er up with RAM...if the apps don't need it then why would you want to swap out 2.5GB of RAM? (for example) ich!

I agree though, that the swap file should be on a separate partition - way faster, just do it. If you want to do memory dumps then you'll need to allocate RAM plus a bit on the boot partition, but my preference is not to coz who reads em?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back