Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The security certificate was issued by a company you have chosen not t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenniferlynn

Technical User
Feb 28, 2003
GB
Please can someone help me!
I support a Visaul Basic Application. It is a quotation peice of software that users can email applications into our company through https.
I have a user who is having problems using this function within the software. When he tries to email to us he gets the message: "The function is unfamiliar with the certificate authority that generated the server's certificate"

He is Using Windows XP, ISP is BT Broadband. Also has AOL on the PC too for Internet access at home. We installed the certificate off the website but we still get the same problem. I have also tried to install a root certificate update butit still doesn't help.
I then decided to try and install Windows Critical updates and when we went to the page we got the following message "The root certificate has not been enabled as a trusted root" we then selected YES to run and install Windows Updates but then he got a message that this had encountered a problem. We re-started the PC again and tried again but still getting windows update error messages.

He says that he only encountered this problem after installing our latest version of the software and before this it was fine but there was nothing in our updated software that would actually change any internet settings.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do. Most suggestions out there tell you to install the certificate but we have already done this to no avail!

I hope the information I have given is not too garbled and makes some sense! If anyone could help I would be extremely grateful!

Thank you

Jen

If the user is presented with a certificate issued by a root certification authority that is not directly trusted, and the Update Root Certificates component is not installed on the user’s computer, the user will be prevented from completing the action that required authentication. For example, the user might be prevented from installing software, viewing an encrypted or digitally signed e-mail message, or using a browser to engage in an SSL session."

Read carefully what is required:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back