Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

the same indexed file works fine on sequential access! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

reshamtara

Programmer
Dec 27, 2002
US
thanx ppl !
but i havent been able to debug this permanent error. the program used to run fine, and conked out when i created the indexed file from a sequential file.even now the progi runs properly when all records are to be displayed, it gets stuck only if i access records thru the alternate key. im using MS-COBOL version 2.4.
thanx
bye

Hi,

Are you realy working with MS-COBOL?
I strongly advise you to use something newer and with less bugs in it. Better compilers (faster for both compiling, linking and executing, less errors) are from my own experience CA-REALIA and Microfocus. The last I worked with MS-COBOL is in 1986, that was release 3.0 and it was very, very bad. Sure!

Regards,

Crox

Hi reshamtara,

You already have a thread on this subject; why don't you use it?

If I understand your problem correctly, you have no problem READing the file sequentially; the problem arises when you READ it using the alternate key. If this is true:

1. When do you get the error: OPEN, START or READ NEXT?

2. Are you able to READ at least 1 record before this error?

3. Do you know whether you have duplicate alternate keys, and is your program coded correctly for this?

4. Have you used this compiler or any other COBOL compiler on programs with alternate keys, successfully before?

Dimandja

Slade,

I did report it and asked if anyone wanted the source for the final product mailed to them. I am tweaking the smart compare but it is 90% done. I will send you a copy at the end of the week if you like.

Thanks for all the help but this is along the same lines.

I must say I find your tone very rude which is not usual for you looking at other posts. Cranky today?

Thanks,

Alfred

dallasdino, did you mispost? You got the wrong thread, I am afraid.

In the meantime, reshamtara, are you still with us?

Slade

Excellent Excellent Excellent.
You made my day!
Pure classic burlesque. - it'll never die.

ButI think you're casting ... on this website.

Hi,

When u created the indexed file from a seqenatial file did u specify the alternate index key as well as the access mode as dynamic ??

Devesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back