Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Rhythm Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathrudden

Programmer
Jun 20, 2003
US
I couldn't get my e-mail (again) until I turned off e-mail protection. Unprotected, I quickly got the offending batch and turned back on the protection. Hope I didn't get caught:) What a system! And I actually paid money for this.

I now have a clue about one type of e-mail that chokes Norton. I'd like to tell Norton, but they have themselves so well protected from their customers that it would be easier to get an audience with the pope.

Maybe they lurk. Hey, Norton, do ya?

Anyway, here it is. I think Norton Anti Virus 2003 choked on one of those attachement within attachment within attachment chains. Someone started it with a humorous jpg. The next one forwarded it, then another forwarded that, and so on. You know, you open the attachement only to find another e-mail with an attachment to open. It takes forever to drill down to the original.

I have always disabled the scanning of incoming and outgoing e-mail and relied on the real-time scanner with 2003. I started to do this on friends computers because e-mail scanning has caused them alot of problems and at work we used Norton Corporate. There wasn't a mail scanner with corporate, only the realtime scanner, and it gave us great protection at work. The only problem I had with Norton Corp was that it never alerted me if there was an error on a remote install. One PC was left unprotected because of an install error and became infected with Klez.
Anyways the end result has been that none of the computers that had the e-mail scanners disabled have had any infections for months now. And they have far less problems with Norton as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back