Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The "right" development tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

klm2klm2

Programmer
Dec 24, 2002
US
Hello friends,

I've been out of the Oracle development world for some years now. My previous Oracle contract was in the early-to-mid 90s using Forms 3.0 and ReportWriter 1.1. The app still exists on a single PC with a single user (though the PC has been upgraded once or twice). I enjoyed developing with Oracle tools, but I'm sure all of the rules have changed since then. Recently, I've been doing mostly data architecture and app design -- not heads down development.

I'm now being asked to bring that app into state-of-the-art tools. I'll be doing all of the work myself. In the new configuration, there *may* be more than one user on a LAN. Still, it will be a basic, but not trivial, business app consisting of a relational database, forms, menus, and reports.

What tools should I use? Stick with Oracle? Switch to something else? Should I consider MS Access (sounds shaky), VB (presumed significant learning curve), Delphi, Crystal, others? Assume that I am somewhat knowledgeable about SQL and reasonably knowledgeable about Forms 3, and VBA. What do you recommend? I seek your advice.

Thank you very much,
Kim

Why don't you move to Forms/Reports 6i or 9i? It seems to me it's the most "natural" way. Regards, Dima

If it is a business application and would be used in Client-Server environment, then I would strongly recommend you to go for Form 6i, Report 6i with Oracle 9i. (Of course if budget is not a constraint, otherwise u can use Ms Access and VB- that is cheaper).

With Regards
Arup

Does Oracle have a long-term commitment to the desktop and/or client-server market? I'd hate to invest in Forms/Reports 6i just to have Oracle stop support for that product line.

Oracle support for Forms/Reports 6i will stop in December 2004. They are committed to moving to a Web based architecture.

However, Forms and Reports 6i have been around for a while now and most of the bugs have now been identified and addressed. There is no reason why an application should not continue to work well for years to come (as long as the client operating system doesn't get upgraded too far).

Patrick.

Hello there,

Patrick, you said that Oracle support for Forms/Reports 6i will stop in December 2004. How credible this information is? Many applications are still using 6i, how could Oracle just stop supporting the people using these applications.
If you could guide me to any official communiction from Oracle Inc about this subject, I would be grateful.

:)

Hi,

Here's a link to what Oracle say in their statement of direction for Forms:

It includes the following statement:

"In order to allow existing customers to upgrade their applications to Oracle9i Forms, Oracle Forms 6i will be supported until January 1st, 2005 (along with Oracle Reports 6i) with Extended Assistance Support until January 1st, 2008."

Patrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back