Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Query that broke the DB's back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiamOC

Technical User
Sep 12, 2002
IE
Hi,

I have a query, well it comprises of a query and two underlying sub qieries if you like and it's takes the form that uses it forever to load. Unfortunately, I'm doing this database for someone else and they HAVE to have this form but I need to get the query to run about 10 times faster!

Can someone tell me what's making this query so bluddy slow. I've a suspicion the DLookup is partly responsible but is there any way to iprove this mess or am I in serious trouble?

Below are the three queries. The top one is the top level final query that gets me the results I need.

Should I write it in VB maybe? What can I do. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

LV-QuickSelect inc Totals(updateable)

SELECT [LV-MAIN].Segment, [LV-MAIN].[Pole No], [LV-MAIN].[Quick Select], DLookUp("SumOfTotal","LV-QuickSelect inc Totals(nonupdateable)","[Segment]='" & [Segment] & "'And [Pole No]='" & [Pole No] & "'") AS TotalCost
FROM [LV-MAIN]
ORDER BY getSortValue([Segment]), Val([LV-MAIN].[Pole No]);

LV-QuickSelect inc Totals(nonupdateable)

SELECT [LV-MAIN].Segment, [LV-MAIN].[Pole No], [LV-MAIN].[Quick Select], Sum([LV-QuickSelect inc Totals(Work Totals)].Total) AS SumOfTotal
FROM [LV-MAIN] LEFT JOIN [LV-QuickSelect inc Totals(Work Totals)] ON ([LV-MAIN].[Pole No] = [LV-QuickSelect inc Totals(Work Totals)].[Pole No]) AND ([LV-MAIN].Segment = [LV-QuickSelect inc Totals(Work Totals)].Segment)
GROUP BY [LV-MAIN].Segment, [LV-MAIN].[Pole No], [LV-MAIN].[Quick Select];

LV-QuickSelect inc Totals(Work Totals)

SELECT [LV-WORK_COMPLETED].Segment, [LV-WORK_COMPLETED].[Pole No], [LV-WORK_COMPLETED].Quantity, [LV-CODING].Price, [Price]*[Quantity] AS Total
FROM [LV-WORK_COMPLETED] LEFT JOIN [LV-CODING] ON [LV-WORK_COMPLETED].Code = [LV-CODING].Code
ORDER BY [LV-WORK_COMPLETED].Segment;

If anyone can help me I would be so so gratefull. Thanks,

Liam

Hello Liam,
I can relate. Have you indexed the tables well? This is the first thing to check. Domain aggregate functions, such as DLookup, are murder on a query. The messy work-around is to use more subqueries and include them with joins -- it is dirty but you will find an amazing speed increase. IIf statements can also be death-on-a-stick because they actually execute both the true *AND* false parts, regardless of the outcome! Robert
•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•
Professional, affordable, Access database solutions and assistance °•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back