Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Procedure Entry Point GetLongPathNameA and Norton 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cogebi

Vendor
Apr 24, 1999
US
Norton 2002 Antivirus is installed on this workstation which is Win NT. The weekly definitions update etc are downloaded fine automatically.
Now all of a sudden when I do a regular live update it finds a Norton Antivirus 2000 (program) update and after downloading when it tries to install , I get the following error:
At the top blue bar spa.exe-Entry Point not found
Then below it says
The procedure entry point GetLongPathNameA could not be loaded in the dynamic link libral kernel32.dll

Suggestions?

Have you checked Norton faq for this?
Could try reapplying latest SP (and all windows updates since).

Can I just apply the latest NT Service pak over the existing install?

Yes - SP6a. I'd visit windows update site too (think its still working for NT workstation). But I'd tend to suspect Norton! (you could also try uninstalling and reinstalling that/getting the latest version of live update?)

Hi - I've had the same error message with 8 different NT 4.0 Workstations, SP 6a, using Norton AntiVirus 2000. It has to be a bug in the latest live update. But at least it looks like the antivirus program is still working correctly, so this may not be critical.

If it is a bug, then I wonder why I found nothing in the Symantec Knowledge base. For now I have just left it as the rest is working fine. thanks

Symantec has put it up on the knowledge base as of 1/14/2004, but I tried the fix and it does not work. I would like to hear from someone else who has tried. The error occurred after my last Live Update as identified from my EventViewe.

Annapolisjoe, can you give me the link to the Norton knowledge base item and I will give it a try. Thanks.

I'm having the same problem with Norton AV 2002 on a fully updated NT4.0/SP6 box. In a quick pass through the Symantec site, I couldn't find the referenced KnowledgeBase article.

Please post the link here so we all can see it.

Thanks in advance,
Kent

I bought the updating version 2004, disinstalled the 2003, reinstalled the 2003 but I am not allowed either to update it nor to install the downloads, always the same music...entrypoint not foundan so on!

I do not believe Norton 2003 or Norton 2004 AV is compatible with Windows NT. On the Norton web site in the compatibility table, the latest edition compatible is 2002 anti virus.

I have a WindowsNt4 sp 6 that is perfectly running Norton AV in the last 14 Jannuary 2004 update, some other machines are not installing the new updating.

Here is how I fixed this problem on NT4 SP6a with NAV2002: 1)Go to \WINNT\Profiles\All Users\Application Data\Symantec and delete the whole of the LiveUpdate folder. 2)Go to \Program Files\Symantec and delete the whole of the LiveUpdate folder. Note: You may find that some files refuse to delete - but it doesn't matter - just delete all that you can individually. 3)Go to and download the latest version of lusetup.exe 4)Install it and reboot. 5)Go to Control Panel and open Symantec LiveUpdate where you will need to reconfigure your LiveUpdate options. Don't forget to also check the LiveUpdate settings in the Norton Antivirus Options too.

Thanks, guys, but still no joy.

The knowledgebase article referenced by annapolisjoe describes a different problem with spa.exe---dealing with a page fault, not a missing entry point---so it isn't so surprising the Symantec solution described in the article doesn't work.

The information given by Ligneous is useful if one needs to install the latest Liveupdate, but in my case, at least, the older version of Liveupdate was working already---it faithfully downloaded a new module for Norton AntiVirus 2002 which then failed to install itself. The same problem occurs with the latest version of Liveupdate (2.0.39) installed on my NT4.0/SP6a box.

From what I can determine by googling the web to see what other software has suffered the same problem, Symantec has screwed up by calling a function that doesn't exist natively in Windows NT4.0. I found a 2-year old post on another list that outlines the problem, but Microsoft has deleted the MSDN article pointed to by the post.

It's a dumb mistake, but let's face it, Microsoft has declared the NT4.0 life cycle is essentially over, and nobody is in a sweat to make sure their code works on the platform.

Regards,
Kent

I have reinstalled the last version of liveupdate but still there is no update fron norton liveupdate on Windows NT Sp6 running Norton Antivirus 2002. The strange fact is that this is happening on two machines while a third same NT Sp6 is still downloading up to the 18th January. There is no downloadable updating on the Norton site but the licenses are still running. What does it mean?

I'm running NT Server and Norton's Corporate Version - 8.1.0.825 (Scan Engine 4.2.0.7).

I get that error message not at Live Update but at boot time.

I followed Ligneous's instructions to remove and reinstall LiveUpdate.

However now LiveUpdate doesn't seem to recognize any Symantec component other than itself for updating. So, while I no longer get the error, it's not actually trying to update AntiVirus or Utilities anymore.

Any idea on what I've done wrong, or how I can make LiveUpdate recognize that these applications exist?

thanks! :)

Wayne

You should have saved the file Product.Inventory.LiveUpdate prior to deleting the LiveUpdate folder and restored this file after reinstalling liveupdate. The file contains the product inventory. If you can restore the original file, you'll see your original list of Symantec products.

Ah, I see, thanks :)

I've restored the file and it now works as well as it did before.

That is to say it will update all applications again, but it still tries to download that buggy file for AntiVirus.

Anyway, thanks for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back