Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The old DBBACKUP pool issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossco6

MIS
Jan 14, 2004
GB
Hopefully someone can help me!

Last week I got all the media out of the dbbackup pool, except for the 2 catalog tapes. This week tho, is a different story.

I know have over 400 tapes in the dbbackup pool. I think someone was working on the server while the available_media script was running, which resulted in loads of tapes being dumped into dbbackup.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a simple/quick way to get the tapes back to where they should be. My problem is that most of them have valid images on them, so at present I'm doing a bpimmedia -mediaid on them seperatly and assigning the ones I can to scratch.

They show as being in the correct pool in the gui, it's just the available_media output which is wrong. Problem being I use the available_media output to allocate tapes to scratch upon expiry, so if they're in dbbackup, that wont work!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

Ross

Thanks for the reply Bob.

I searched the posts about this and found the thread that you linked to. I made the changes to available_media but these tapes are still showing as in dbbackup pool.

if the tapes are assigned, you have 2 choices. deassign them as best you can, a right royal pain if you got that many tapes to do. I'd run a vmchange -p <pool> on the tapes you can (ie scratch) and maybe leave the rest there until they expire ??

As for your concern about dbbackup pooled tapes not going back to scratch, the easiest way to manipulate tapes is to (for instance) search for TLD "AND" AVAILABLE, that way you don't care what pool a scratch tape is in to begin with..

Hope that makes sense or helps

or both :)

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back