Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The object <security/distribution group> has been corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

irbk

MIS
Oct 20, 2004
US
So again, I've spent time searching but can't seem to find a solution to this issue. When looking at my distribution groups after my move from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 I get the following error when running
Get-DistributionGroup
Code:
WARNING: The object domain.com/E-mail Groups/Mail Groups - Offices/Green Bay Office has been corrupted, and it's in an
 inconsistent state. The following validation errors happened:
WARNING: Property expression "Green Bay" isn't valid. Valid values are: Strings formed with characters from A to Z
(uppercase or lowercase), digits from 0 to 9, !, #, $, %, &, ', *, +, -, /, =, ?, ^, _, `, {, |, } or ~. One or more
periods may be embedded in an alias, but each period should be preceded and followed by at least one of the other
characters. Unicode characters from U+00A1 to U+00FF are also valid in an alias, but they will be mapped to a best-fit
US-ASCII string in the e-mail address, which is generated from such an alias.

I've tried to figure out what I'm supposed to do to move this into a consistent state, but I'm lost as to what. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Well, never mind! I stumbled across the answer. Apparently that alias name for this distro group had a space in it and this was making Exchange 2010 cranky. Running
Code:
Set-DistributionGroup -identity "Green Bay" -alias "GreenBay"
Fixed the issue and I don't get that error any more. Hopefully I didn't break anything while trying to fix!

Yeah - if you go into EMC, and go into the Distribution Group section under Recipients, it should complain about it. Aliases for anything can't have spaces or '@' in them.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back