Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The natural order of things......

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPBoone

Technical User
Feb 3, 2001
US
I am not even sure how to explain this, but I will try.

At the end of each week I have to send to each individual customer, a list of all the requisitions that they ordered for the entire week. This list provides the customer with Req. #, Material ID info, Quantity, and the latest status code of their order. And at the end of each record (each individual order) is a note which explains the meaning of of the status code (like Note 1 or Note 2 and so on...). Each note is then explained further in detail at the bottom of the memo.

Their order's come in on a memo and may have several different orders on one memo. I sort these memo's by a serial number that is on the memo, so when I send my memo to them each week I list all their orders by memo serial number. For Example, my memo looks kind of like this:

BLAH
BLAH
REQ # PART # QTY STATUS RMKS
A. MEMO #: 01-001
1240-AA66 012345678 1EA 240/ER/PYZ NOTE 1
B. MEMO #: 01-002
1246-AA69 012346678 2EA 246/AS/PYZ NOTE 2
BLAH
BLAH
NOTE 1: ER INDICATES YOUR MATERIAL IS BEING REPAIRED AT
OUR SITE, AND WILL BE SHIPPED TO YOU UPON COMPLETION.
NOTE 2: AS INDICATES YOUR MATERIAL HAS BEEN REPAIRED AND
IS IN PROCESS OF SHIPMENT TO YOUR ACTIVITY.

OK. Now the problem is I have to keep these memo serial #'s in order on the memo I am sending. Next week, the status for the first requisition may be different. I have to also keep the notes in order, starting with number one, so everytime I do one of these memo's I have to go and change the meanings of the note's. The first record has to be Note 1, but for each memo I send, Note 1 might have a different meaning. Like for instance, next week I get similar requirements, but the first req # has the same meaning as note 2. It would become note 1 and I would have to switch the meanings. If I only use 1 note, then I have to delete all the other note explanations. Are you getting this?

I created a report to do this entire memo, but I am having problems assigning the notes. My question is:
Is there a way to automatically assign Note 1, 2, and so on to each record according to status and change the meanings for each note so that the memo serial # will stay in the proper order?

Boy that was friggin long!!

Please help!
Thanks,
Gene

You could use a sub-report to put the memos into the end of the report. Make sure that the sort for the top is the same as the bottom by including a like field (IE: order number?). To make the report show "Note 1", 2, 3, etc.. place a hidden control on each report (1 on the top 1 on the bottom). Set it's control source to =1 and set the Running Sum property to Over All. Name the control txtCounter (you can name it the same in both the main report and the subreport).

Now make another report to show Note 1, etc... Put a textbox on your report and set it's control source to:

=Note " & [txtCounter]

Then you'll have what you're after! HTH
Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back