Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The National Anthem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acl03

MIS
Jun 13, 2005
US
It's a real pet-peeve of mine when a singer at a sporting (or other) event sings "their" version of the Star-Spangled Banner. I think it takes away from the meaning when a singer shows off and tries to make it their own. A lot of the time it seems as if they are trying to display their vocal range rather than sing the song for its intended purpose, which in my opinion, has been mostly lost.

Thoughts?

Do national anthems in countries other than the U.S. get changed in the same fashion?

Thanks,
Andrew

[smarty] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

Are you referring to Jordan Sparks' version last night?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

So I guess Jimmy Hendrix' version made your head explode?

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Jordan Sparks' version did prompt this thread, but oddly enough I did not hear it. Some people were discussing it in a Giants forum I read, and it reminded me of how much I hate when people 'fancy it up'.

Actually, the Jimi Hendrix one I don't mind, maybe it's just the changed vocal style that bugs me. It just seems that they want to make it about themselves, not about the song/country.

Thanks,
Andrew

[smarty] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

My favourite is Whitney Houston at Super Bowl XXV, sung with power, emotion, pride and sheer joy at being an American, especially the "...and the home of the brave" at the end.

Faith Hill did a fantastic job at Super Bowl XXXIV too.

Oh, and I'm a Brit.

Isn't part of the spirit of The United States, rugged individualism?

I care more about the quality of the performance.

Roseanne Barr - Absolute DUD!

Sandi Patty - One of the best!

Jordan Sparks - Did not impress me.

Skip,
[sub]

I could equate it to going to see a live performance of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony, and the orchestra does "their" version of it that includes an extraneous violin solo.

I am so impressed when a singer just does a (quality) classic rendition, it seems so rare these days.

[Kind of off-topic]
I was at a Giants game a few years ago, and the woman who sang the anthem was a NYC firefighter. It was just a couple years after 9/11 so it was kind of emotional. During the second verse, she got nervous and forgot the words. She was an excellent singer, too. I felt so bad for her, as did the whole crowd.
[/off topic]

Thanks,
Andrew

I am as patriotic as they come, so I intend no ill will toward our "Star-Spangled Banner" anthem, but due to the "broad range and bright memory" required to sing it, I believe I'd like to have the country consider changing our anthem to "Proud to be an American"...singable melody and contemporary lyrics that people understand and identify with.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

I'd vote for either! Love to sing both!

Skip,
[sub]

I don't know about butchering a good tune, but I do know that our (UK) national anthem need updating. It still harps on about 'god' saving the queen, which clearly is never going to happen.

Given our penchant for modifying things that don't need changing (Renaming the post office, Pizza Hut, removing the Thames from the tube map, etc etc etc), why we can't turn our hand to changing outdated things is beyond me.

One thing I would say about the US national anthem, though: I'm not sure I'd call it 'The' national anthem (see thread title). I don't think any one country deserves to says theirs is better than all the rest.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Santa,

I'd have to disagree. While it is a very difficult song to sing, I don't see any need to change it. I don't question your patriotism, however, after reading many of your posts.

It's probably just my resistance to change, but I like the current anthem. If I were to pick a different one, I'd go with "America the Beautiful".

Thanks,
Andrew

Santa I also disagree. I like Proud to be an American but what would changing the US national anthem to any song say to the American youth about our country if we are willing to change a symbol of national pride because it is too hard to sing and remember?

I'll second Whitney Houston's performance at Super Bowl XXV, it was excellent.

Stubnski

I may risk wandering slightly off-topic, but not having been blessed with a melodious voice to speak of (or sing about), the only anthem I will even attempt to sing is the Spanish national anthem. ;-). I'm not Spanish mind you, but still, I can remember all the words... ;-)

I don't even know all the words to my own country's anthem. Never learnt/learned it, never had any reason to... Slightly less patriotic that Dave I'm afraid.

p5

anotherhiggins said:
So I guess Jimmy Hendrix' version made your head explode?

Jimi's version is supposed to make your head explode.

[bigsmile]

Given that most singers of it do have range and vocal skill, it is still a bit off-putting to hear their extraneous warbling, of which their 'signature" is prevalent. I like non-professionals, like some little girl,I forget what year, who balked a bit, but finished it quite well. Does'nt AC/DC do the English anthem?

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

[side]
There are three different kinds of people in this world when it comes to singing...

1. Those who can sing
2. Those who THINK they can sing
3. And those who know they can't

[/side]

Being of the later (knowing I cannot sing), I hate to hear a classic or classical song butchered like our/the US anthem by some singer who THINKS they can do a better version. There are just some songs that should not be messed with.

I don't know, call me a purest if you will but when a singer/group/composer creates a really good song it should be the last word. Think Bob Seger, Dio, U2, or whatever genre is your cup of tea.

However, there are exceptions to this rule and that is when the remix is just as good if not better than the original, think Aerosmith and Walk This Way.

my oh two...

I think saying that someone cannot take a song, and sing it a little differently without calling it their own work is not a good idea. If it weren't for artistic impression being allowed as a whole, then you'd of never had many songs done in their current fashion, such as "Walk this Way" from Aerosmith.

disclaimer: I don't currently listen to Aerosmith or any other secular music artist for that matter, but I used to.

Also, a singer using artistic expression to sing/play a song differently than the way it was originally written can show that they do have true artistic talent. Of course, that goes with any form of "art", I suppose. If it weren't for artistic expression, we'd of never seen Davinci's works, Michaelangelo's, nor Vincent Van Gogh's.

Also, as already alluded to, the allowing of artistic expression in America goes a long way toward showing the true meaning of freedom. If musicians weren't allowed to sing the American Anthem, or any other song, the way they wanted to, or felt best, on a particular occasion, then that would represent a more communistic government, I'd say.

That said, there are times when artistic expression isn't the best means of delivering any media. I think, specifically, of times when you are directing music. Sure, the director can hold out notes a little longer, or do things like that, but if you're say directing a group for the first time - think church music director, directing the congregation - then artistic expression in that sense is more likely to cause confusion than to do any good.

But if you're singing/painting/drawing/scupting/speaking, whatever, and you are not responsible for directing others at that particular moment, then there's no threat of confusion, I think, and therefore you should have a little bit of freedom to change things.

Of course, that does not mean you should be able to recite a poem, and change words at random, or particularly give historical information, and randomly change facts as you see fit. [wink]

I talked too much. I need some coffee. [morning]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I cringe a little on, "And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me."

But I understand the intent.

Skip,
[sub]

Hey, don't forget Robert Goulet's version. He's a Canadian and (apparently) never learned the US National Anthem as a child. ;-)

I don't mind an interpretive version of the National Anthem as long as it's sung with feeling. So many singers do their trills and lilts on the anthem but have no feeling for what they are really singing.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

kjv said:
I think saying that someone cannot take a song, and sing it a little differently without calling it their own work is not a good idea.

I agree with this 100%. They can do whatever they want, that doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it. :)

I wasn't suggesting that there be a mandate to sing the anthem in a particular fashion, I just prefer it that way. And as 2ffat said, I don't find the overextended high notes and trills to have feeling. To me, it's all show-biz and phony. I also just dislike the way it sounds.

But, should a singer be allowed to do it any way he or she chooses? Absolutely.

Thanks,
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back