Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The MAD Monitoring thread was unable to connect to WMI, error '0x80041

Status
Not open for further replies.

unslog

Technical User
Jan 25, 2009
GB
Server is running sbs server 2003 (premium edition) sp2 with exchange 2003.

Monitoring was playing up, so followed steps to completely remove.

After removing I rebooted server and reinstalled monitoring component . during install it prompted for original windows 2003 cd3 so used that (do not have a copy of 2003 sp2 slipstreamed cd) . At the end of the install it advised that some components will not run correctly because service pack 2 disc was not used to reinstall monitoring component.

Monitoring still didn't work , had errors end of using the configuration wizard (3 out of 4 points did not successfully complete)

It advised to reinstall the service pack. Download 2003 sp2 and tried to reinstall. Then I got "Access denied" error during install. Tried to troubleshoot that by resetting default security setting as explained in a MS KB. that didn't work.

I noticed WMI errors in event log so I followed this KB to reregister the Exchange 2003 namespace with WMI(kb/288590) . Got errors while running these commands;

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem>mofcomp.exe exwmi.mof
Microsoft (R) 32-bit MOF Compiler Version 5.2.3790.3959
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2001. All rights reserved.
Parsing MOF file: exwmi.mof
MOF file has been successfully parsed
Storing data in the repository...
An error occurred while opening the namespace for object 1 defined on lines 10 -
13:
Error Number: 0x8004100e, Facility: WMI
Description: Invalid namespace
Compiler returned error 0x8004100e

On top of that I'm getting frequent errors in the event log (that I never seen before), as shown here:
With all of this in mind, please advise best course of action to resolve this problem that is spiraling out of control
Thanks

Monitoring relies in IIS to function, especially for the console interface. ASP.NET must function properly as well. Given your event log, you may even be having OWA/OMA/Activesync problems as well.

You have a lot of things wrong here. Could you list them and force rank them in order or priority?

"Let's look at this thing from a... um, from a standpoint of status. What do we got on the spacecraft that's good?" -- Apollo 13

Got microsoft to look at this, who where having difficulties as well.

Basically, they reckon the partial re-install of sp2 has caused loads of problems.

They uninstalled and reinstalled asp.net also changed a setting in iis so the monitoring site was pointing to asp.net version 1 instead of 2., that partially resolved things. I was able to get mailbox stats, but the alerts and server performance logs were showing no data after 48hrs.

They tried to reinstall sp2 , but where also faced with the same ACCESS DENIED error. They tried to run a bat file to amend registry permissions, but this produced errors . So that is how microsoft have left it for the moment. However they ran the setup file that was extracted from sp2 download. This allows for sp to be rolled back, incase the sp2 fails. So now the version is sp1 .

The priority is really to get the server re-installed with sp2. Once that it done, then re-install monitoring. I feel re-installing sp2 will resolve a whole load of stuff.

I have rebooted the server , so they can take a look next week.

Do you have any ideas on resolving the Access denied issue when installing sbs server 2003 sp2 ? I got a feeling it is registry permissions.

I fear IIS may have to be uninstalled/reinstalled as well. This is a long process and fraught with insights into the inner workings of SBS. You may want to make sure your antivirus for exchange package is completely up to date as far as the program goes. There have been issues with Symantec Mail Security for Exchange.

for Later:
You'll want to install and use the SBS 2003 Best Practices Analyzer.

for Reference:
Reinstalling IIS:
Missing Graphics in OWA

And the MS Version: How to reset the default virtual directories that are required to provide Outlook Web Access, Exchange ActiveSync, and Outlook Mobile Access services in Exchange Server 2003
You're in good hands by working with MS. That was a good choice for a lot of reasons. First of all, you're working 'directly with the manufacturer', which always sounds good rolling off the tongue to management. Second, it should be a one-time fee, not 'by the hour' as with a normal tech support company.

Please let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back