Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The left margin using a PCL Form 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTarshis

Programmer
Oct 27, 2007
US
Hi ... Does anyone know how to make a PCL Printer print in the 2 left most characters of a page? So then a PCL Form can be coded that would print right to the left edge of the paper. I am using my own GUI PCL Typesetter/PCL Code Generator so I would like to program the ability to print in that area as many Gov't forms go right to the left edge of the paper. Thanks ... Jesse

It can't be done. You can gain a little bit with the use of the sheet offset command, but there is an absolute clip limit of about 1/5th inch left and right.

I believe that Xerox does make some printers that can be set to print virtually to the edge of the sheet.

Jim Asman

Some Laser printers do offer what they call 'Edge-To-Edge' printing - but I think that even these will still leave a small margin (about 2mm) as an unprintable area.

Some LaserJet devices have features which allow the X and Y registration to be moved on the page (so the whole image can be moved left/right/up/down) via front panel menu items.

Yet others will respond to a PCL5 escape sequence which allows the logical page to be redefined - see for a discussion of this.

I believe that printer damage was one of the original reasons for laser printers NOT offering edge-to-edge printing - but this may no longer be an issue with modern technology (?). But if it IS still a problem, then using some of the above techniques may cause damage (or, at the least, contamination) of your printer.

You ought to start lobbying your federal authorities to stop producing crap forms!

Print the form and the data on blank paper. They'll never notice, or care if they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back