Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The joy of spam. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlockley

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
US
I realize that this is not quite the topic of this forum, but then, sometimes the lighter side. Spam received today with the best parts highlighted.

------- Original Message --------
Subject: CONGRATULATIONS FINAL PAYMENT RELEASE..
Date: Mon, August 13, 2007 10:32 pm
To:

Dear Winner

We Apologies, for the delay of your payment and all the Inconveniences
And Inflict that we might have indulge you through.

However, we are Having some [COLOR=red yellow]minor problems with our payment system, this
is Inexplicable, And have held us stranded and Indolent, not having the
Aspiration to devote our 100% Assiduity in accrediting foreign payments.[/color]
We Apologies once again from the Records of outstanding winners due for
payment With {ONLINE CYBER PROMOTION} your name and Particular was
discovered as next on the list ofthe outstanding winners who are Yet to
received their payments.

Emails were selected anonymously through a Computer ballot system from
over 35,000 companies and 70,000 individual E-mail addresses all over
the world and your e-mail address emerged as the winner of the 11
selected email address. This program is promoted and sponsored by Orient
software corporation (Orient Networks) in collaboration with The Online
CyberInternational.

[COLOR=red yellow]I wish to inform you now that the square peg is now in Square whole and
can be voguish for your payment is being processed and will be released[/color]
to you as soon as you respond to this letter. Also note that from our
record in ourFile, your outstanding winning payment is S$950.215.00
(NINE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND, TWO HUNDREDAND FIFTEEN
DOLLARS).Payment will be made to you in a certified bank draft or wire
[COLOR=red yellow]transfer into a nominated bank Account of your choice, as soon as you
get in touched with.[/color]

Mr. John Nicole
E-mail:johnnicole50@yahoo.es

Provide him with the following details, as this will enable him to process
and release of your cash prize without any delay.

Your Full Name:..................................
Telephone and fax Numbers:.........................
Residential Address:...............................

Your urgent reply will help him process the release of your price
money.

Mr. John Nicole.

Will effect the speedy release of your cash prize to you within
7 working days.

Yours Sincerely,

Mrs. Jane Phillips

Vice President

Yeah, ive seen morons like that doing their best to phish information out of you. I had a friend get an email from "paypal". I took a look at it since she was suspicious and it had the grammar of a 4 year old. Some of these spammers should really pick up a class or two on grammar. No I am not saying my grammar is perfect lol as it is far from it, however im sure you get the point.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I laughed so hard, I nearly fell off my chair.

Stranded and indolent square wholed round pegs that we are.

Yeah I think they meant to say the square peg is in their head. As obviously they do not have much of a brain lol.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

[rofl]
I'll have to pay more attention to the junk I get!

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Since I noticed that one, I have been looking at them. Not a one would pass sixth grade English, but none quite as off the mark, unfortunately. Who knew that phishing could be a source of entertainment? I sent it to a friend who is an English teacher. She was delighted and has passed it along again. At some point I imagine this one will get more attention than the phisher ever imagined. Just not for the intended purpose.

That is GOOGLE TRANSLATION for ya...

Domain .es should be Spain... and running the text trough the translator, will get you the above...

but it could also be TAGS, to see who replies or reads the SPAM, as to validate eMail addies...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

There's a tangentially related discussion going on over here: thread1229-1398601

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Google translation explains a lot. So trying to figure out what he wanted to say, I parsed it to Korean and back to English and here is the actual content.

I the fact that it informs you now will be to the whole where the nog which is orderly is orderly and i wish
To be processed and to released and you payment be put there is a hazard popularity one possibility

I just keep forgetting to send my information. I guess I'm not going to be rich.

Let me get slightly serious for a second. I only read these things, when I do, in web mail. That is to find a hook for a filter (web mail is godaddy, and frankly it doesn't provide the same ease of junk mail identification you get with gmail or hotmail).
My assumption is always that opening one of these messages on the web server is relatively safe. True? Never downloads, etc.

I keep looking for more, but most are better written. There is one offering a position as a collection source for a Chinese textile company which, if you let your imagination run wild, is relatively entertaining.

Found the one that was sent to my friend that she had me look at. Another one that is not so smart.

" “From: “service@paypal.com”
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 12:53:06 PM
Subject: New email address added to your PayPal account !
You’ve added an additional email address to your PayPal account.

If you don¢t agree with this email moskscent228@comcast.net and if you need assistance with your account, please click here to login to your account.

To make sure you can use your PayPal account the next time you make a purchase, all you need to do is confirm or not your email address.

If your email program has problems with hypertext links, you may also confirm your email address by logging in to your account.

Thank you for using PayPal!

The PayPal Team"

There are quite a few red flags in this one lol.

Coming up in the world. Newest offer is one hundred for the uplift of my environment.

LG Electronics, Inc. in conjunction with the United Nations
Organization (UNO) and the European union, is giving out a yearly
donation of One
Hundred Million United States Dollars as specific Donations/Grants to
50 lucky international recipients worldwide in different categories
for
their educational pursuit,health care,personal Business development
and
uplift of their enviroment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search