Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Ghost of Outlook Express!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukime

Technical User
Jul 6, 2003
AU
Just wondering if anyone else has come across this ...

i was sitting on my computer, happily minding my own business when my friend comes over and goes, "hey, look at this ... its so evil!"

he proceeded to go to my Outlook Express directory (C:\Program Files\Outlook Express) and delete the entire contents. At this point, i'm like ... "oi, wtf are you doing?"

then ... 5 - 6 seconds later ... the files magically appear again - with no problems. the program runs fine.

apparently, if you want to delete it, there are registry entries to go through and delete as well as the backed up copy(s) elseware on the windows XP partition.

however, i'm wondering if this could solve problems with corrupted outlook express files (i work for an isp, and the amount of OLE problems we have can be quite scarey) ...

anyone else have any experience or (even better) documentation on this? i've been hunting around but cant find anything yet.

cheers!

Read about "Windows File Protection" in the Help and Support program.

318767 - HOW TO: Verify That Windows File Protection Is Running in Windows 2000

Problems with OE in XP inparticular are varied and each problem may have a specific solution so by way of generalizing you can try to repair OE.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Outlook Express.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

How to Reinstall or Repair Outlook Express in Windows XP

A few options for you to try.

Run each of the following from start/run: Press OK after each entry.

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

You can reinstall IE (and thereby OE) in Windows XP by clicking Start, Run and entering the following command:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

You will need to have your XP CD available. If you re-install remember to update it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back