Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Future of Md110

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButtonIt

Vendor
Apr 1, 2003
GB
Hi,

What are your thoughts on the future of Md110? I'm interested in which way Ericsson can go with the switch, for instance will it ever become likely where the Md110 doesn't have any cabling and all communication is between wireless connections?

Maybe LIM-GSM cabling will be replaced by sattelite dishes mounted on top of the LIM. Each MAG could communicate via "Bluetooth on Steroids".

What added features could they include? Maybe new Digi phones with built in MP3 players, Internet access, Bluetooth connectivity.

Maybe they should scrap it and start something new?!?!?!

Hi,

Very interesting subject.

I know that Ericsson has put a lot of offert into converting the MD110 software to C++ in order to be able to run it on server based standard platforms.

They call the next "generation" MECS (Mobile Enterprise Communication Solution) and field tests are running right now. Lots of people working on MECS at Ericsson.

After what I have heard functionality and capacity is so far limited.

Hardly any designers at Ericsson are working with the current MD110 base system any more. This does not mean that there is no further developing going on because there is. It´s just done elsewhere and by contractors.

I have also heard about MECS. It is supposed to run on a LINUX server. Goodbye Microsoft !
I think also it is on time that PLEX is replaced with C/C++.
MECS is schedulled for 2005 I have heard . Is this right ?

And that there will be MD110 development till BC15 at least , they skip BC13 I heard.

I don´t know when the commercial introduction of MECS will happen. I was at an Ericsson seminar some months back and they didn´t inform all that much about MECS but one thing they did say was that the "old" MD110 can interact with MECS so investments made will be protected. No details on how this interaction will be realized though. Nodes in the same network or integration at a higher level?

I've just found some very basic info on MECS

It sounds quite interesting, although some more technical information would be useful.

It replaces Md110 for in house communications, but does it use the same architecture and style of programming? How does it integrate with these third parties?

Are there any technical papers/courses available?

Hi,

Congratulations for a good idea, I give you a 1 star. This is very interesting, I like the mp3 player in the phone idea.

Why should Ericsson discontinue the Md110, many people have it?

Monstermd - Thanks, but I was only asking through interest. Lots of people have Md110's but the technology has been around since the 70's (correct me if I'm wrong) and hasn't really changed much. Plus, from the little I have just read about MECS, it doesn't have to be a direct replacement for Md110.

As FICRI says above, and you can read on the link I posted, it can integrate with existing Md110 to provide the additional features. So the Md110 isn't dead yet.

I am not sure if the link gives reference to the EMCA.
This is not the MECS as I have understood it.
EMCA still uses MD110.

The MECS is the new server platform of telephony that runs C++ SW.

The first MD110 was introduced to the market late 1982 and as you say the basic structure has not changed really.

There have been many improvements along the way e.g. increased processor capacity. The principle with distributed processor power proved to be very succesful and long lasting, 20+ years, but in my opinion Ericsson is now doing the right thing moving on to standard platforms rather than continuing designing their own processor units and PLEX software.

Good you found some Ericsson information in english about MECS.

maybe there will be a box stood next to the MECS server to provide the click click click sound effects so that people actually believe it is a telephone system

The MECS soloution runs the MD110 software on a LINUX platform. The LIM-switch (LSU-DSU) will be replaced by other cards but the LIM will still exist with its extension and trunkcards.
As I understand it the new susyem telephones Dialog4000 series are planned to have bluetooth access built in the phone. It´s not there yet but it under construction.

NANSI

Could we say that the MECS is in the same direction as Solidus Ecare and OAS. Here the intelligence of ACD is moved to an external server.

The MECS moves the rest of the PBX functionality so
from now on the MD110 is just a pure dummy switch with no internal intellience .

Well, we still get the click click click sound ..........

no bluetooth for D4-Phones! Development is stopped, i think

ButtonIt,

To answer some of your questions after reading the backgrounder.

MECS will not use the same hardware architecture as the
MD110, however the same software in C++ is ported to
Linux. A MECS node will be able to co-exist with MD110
nodes in a system. Since it is the same software the I/O
language stays (to begin with) so no need to stop learning
MML commands.

Most interfaces for third parties will remain the same
such as GICI and CSTA, of course new interfaces will be
added in the future as well.

There have been a few pilot-courses conducted for the MECS
solution but no courses are available at this moment.

/mk

NANSI,

True, in its first demo incarnations MECS was using a LIM
with some modified boards. However, when released new
hardware will replace the LIM's.

/mk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back