Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

the famous irq 5 sharing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapibobo

Technical User
Aug 8, 2002
ID
how do i change irq default use for sound card and an embedded network controller (nic)? they grabbed the irq 5 together and i can't change the default. if i move the sound card to irq 11 (or whatever irq i tried) from bios (compaq use external program "system config. utility" to manage the bios), the nic goes there too automatically - vice versa. change settings under windows is impossible because some buttons on their hardware settings at device manager are greyed out.
please help, thank you.

spec. (with the latest driver and firmware) :
compaq prosignia 200 PII 300
windows 2000 professional

Remove the nic, change the IRQ for the sound card. You might even need to un-install the drivers too... after that, install the nic, then adjust the IRQ for the nic if needed. This should allow them to be seperated.

Good luck! Tuna - It's fat free until you add the Mayo!

also try putting the sound card in a different PCI slot

In your bios you may notice an option that asks you if the OS is Plu and Play. If you select that it is not than the BIOS will set the hardware irqs for you before the operating system loads. If you say that it is it will allow you to change the setting from within Windows. Make sure that if you are trying to change the settings from within windows that the bios is properly set so that the OS is Plug and Play. If this is not set than options can appear to be greyed out because the bios has already set the options for you. John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

I had a problem like that with Linksys Nic and the sound card.I had to D/L a patch from Linksys website and that solved the problem.

i tried to move the soundcard to another slot (from slot 1 to slot 2). i cant do anything with the nic, cause it's embedded with the motherboard. but i can change the irq default. now the soundcard use irq 3 and the nic use irq 11.
than you for your advice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back