Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The easiest elective exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patchste

Technical User
May 16, 2005
GB
Hello All

Which elective exam is the easiest exam to complete my MCSA. I am leaning towards the exchange 284 but the routing groups is quite hard to understand.

Any thoughts?

Steve

Steve,
Picking the "easiest" exam all depends on what your skill set is. I'm a DBA so me the easiest exam was the SQL Examp 70-228. This probably won't be the case for you unless you've got some experience with SQL Server.

None of the tests are easy. This is all very complex subject matter that you are being tested on. With more expierence comes the knowledge that is being tested.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(Not quite so old any more.)

I took the 271 and 272 to get my MCDST as an elective. I think they were sorta easy as long as you got some good experience with XP. On the 272 I scored Mid 900's on it I think i only missed 1 or 2 questions. I used the MS Press books for all 3 tests i done so far. Then sampled some measure up practice tests.

Patchste:
You dont need to worry about the routing groups. Think of it as something that relates to AD sites. As a concept, routing groups covers the same thing.

Remember to practice your exchange stuff. Don´t just memorize some questions and answers. The 284 is not a hard exam if you have done your homework :)

Remember that you can take CompTIA A+ and Network+ or Security+ as an elective. From what I've heard, they are easier than any Microsoft exam. However, only the Security+ is valid as an elective for MCSE should you wish to upgrade at a later date.

John

Thanks for your information.

I have decided to stick with studying for the 70-284 Exchange exam. Just need to get stuck into now.

Steve

let us know how you get on...
i'm thinking of that one for my mcse:messaging

Aftertaf
We shall prevail, and they shall not

If any help i took both the Exchange and SQL (2000 track) and found the Exchange slightly easier

HTH

Chris

ChrisCj21
MCSE, A+, N+

Hi There

I justed took my 70-284 exchange exam and passed with 820. I took my time to learn the product and I am glad to get it.

Steve

Security+ is very easy if you're got a good short-term memory, it's basically 100 very short questions that test memory rather than understanding. I even got questinos on what type of fire extinguisher to use for a certian type of fire... you have to remember a load of ports and encrytption key lengths etc, I've forgotten most of it but have a decent short term memory so the exam was easy (think it took me 30 mins).

I boot-camped the 2 Exchange exams, 284 was OK I thought (although as usual I was convinced I was failing it as I was taking it :p ). The design one was a fair bit harder, maybe I was just having an off day but my brain struggled to think of 'the big picture' and work through the scenarios. Still managed to pass but I really don't know how. Migration questions were much more prevalent in the design exam than 284.

NickFerrar,

I agree wholeheartedly on the Security+. I may have forgotten some of the specifics that I crammed (key lengths, port numbers, etc.), but I studied hard for three nights going into the exam and passed with 864.

For what it's worth, I was only in the seat for 12 minutes, and it was by far the easiest certification exam I've ever taken.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back