Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Dreaded C000021A Fatal Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchshin

MIS
Dec 6, 2000
US
Apparently after loading the latest Microsoft Updates, my Gateway now goes to Blue screen after attempting to start Windows XP and receives the 'C000021A(Fatal System Error) message.
I have reviewed the numerous posts regarding this error but without any luck. I receive the messsage while attempting Safe Mode or last good config. I wanted to try restoring Windows XP, but the Gateway CD that contains XP will only let me install after a full delete.
Do I have any other options? Will I have any luck if I use a Microsoft Windows XP CD?
Thanks for any insights.

Last Known Good Configuration usually will work."
not if that is corrupted. turn off System Restore end points before reparing or re-installing.

the XP CD that came with my Dell system has a repair option, check your OEM CD to see it that option is available on your Gateway.

eyec:

I am working on a DEll Inspiron 1100 with Windows XP Home Edition SP1. when I turned on the laptop I saw the missing or corrupted hal.dll error. I tried all of the tips for fixing this to no avial. the last message I got was missing dlls kernel. So, I tried to perfrom an in space Windows XP re-install to the same folder and got the dreded stop 0000c21A blue screen. I did not know how to turn off the system restore end points before doing the in space re install. What should I do now? I do not want to perform a reformat because I could loose data. Please advise. Thanks

bcastner,

Maybe you can help me out with this problem. IS this casued by a virus, malware or spyware? If so, how can I install and run anti virus softwarre lie ewido if I can not even boot up windows XP? How can I esolve this c000021a error if I can not get to XP desktop or safe mode in order to edit the msconfig utilities to turn off the rrestore end points.

I am working on a DEll Inspiron 1100 with Windows XP Home Edition SP1. when I turned on the laptop I saw the missing or corrupted hal.dll error. I tried all of the tips for fixing this to no avial. the last message I got was missing dlls kernel. So, I tried to perfrom an in space Windows XP re-install to the same folder and got the dreded stop 0000c21A blue screen. I did not know how to turn off the system restore end points before doing the in space re install. What should I do now? I do not want to perform a reformat because I could loose data. Please advise. Thanks

Dont know if this will help but load in recovery console with the system disc and run sfc/scannow and see if that helps anything. Just thought id give this a shot lol.

electronicsfreak,

OK thanks for that suggestion. I'll try that this afternoon when I get home. I can load the OEM Dell Windows XP CD into the CD-Rom drive abd press any key to boot from the CD. Then, I can get to recovery mode from there (which is just DOS command prompts from the windows root). Do you know how I cn turn off the system restore feature from the recovery console mode? I can not boot to the windows logon screen, I can not boot intio safe mode and I can not boot to the desktop or start, run button in order to access msconfig or system restore feature. I am trying to avoid having to reformat the hard drive as I do not want to loose any data. Any otherr thoughts?

Well I looked it up and if I read right you cant access it from recovery. Only other thought is purchase an xp disc and just reinstall over the os and not do a clean install. Certain programs might not work but you will still have your data. Thats just if all else fails.

eyec,

"Last Known Good Configuration" has nothing to do with System Restore. Nothing at all.

Best,
Bill

Intuity, all...,

0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED

This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP can’t run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

GoBack can also cause this if installed.

Do a repair reinstall:
Be sure to spend some time afterwards at Microsoft Update site.

Bcastener,

Bill, thanks for the link. I tried to perfrom the in place install and that is what generated the Coooo21a stop error BSOD in the first place. then, I found another link to a resolution that was designed to get around the BSOD by copy windows files to a tmp directory and when I tried to copy the repair files over I got a message in recovery console mode that said the reapir files could not be found. So, the question now is I am stuck again at the BSOD C000021A. Windows can't run becasue part of the windows files are in the tmp directory now. Frustrated at this point and need some assistance as to what to do next. I think I am going to be forced to perfrom a reformat or just plain new install of Windows XP Home Edition. This is a Dell 1100 Inspiron laptop with Dell Windows XP Home Edition with SP1 install CD.

Bill,

Hee is the link describing what I was trying to do to work around the BSOD.
The article was written by Chralie White and I got as far as Step one trying to copy the repair files over. The repair files could not be found so I was stuck in the middle of a fix that seemingly won't work in my case. The thead this link came from was 779-921314. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back