Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The death of email printing? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobHLiton

IS-IT--Management
Aug 18, 2021
US
Did we see the death of email printing?

Client really wants a printer like the HP he had at home which had an email address from HP and would print anything sent to it. But HP discontinued this and apparently Google killed cloud print, too. A Brother rep wrote me the same.

Too many security issues I guess

Quick Googley search gave this but you would need Outlook:
If that does indeed work as advertised it may be worth the cost of Office for the client.

A few other options including paid apps and Thunderbird:
Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Hey DrBob, I appreciate the reply. Client is looking for hardware only, i.e. printer with no computer.

As you mentioned above, I do not think they will find exactly what they are looking for. Due to security concerns, this isnt an option on any current printer I am aware of. You could buy a cheap tiny linux box and put thunderbird on it as that may be the cheapest method.

Some of these in the middle of the page may be of use if they are really against having a PC in the mix. Not sure what the cost of these services are and in the long run may be cheaper to put a cheap PC in play but in the end it's the customer's call....

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

I know it’s an old thread, but in case anyone is still interested, epson connect does this. I have no intent to use it but just bought an ecotank printer which has this.

Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back