Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The database for Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaport

MIS
Jan 5, 2000
US
I am currently using shared hosting for a asp.net/sql server 2005 web application. The backend sql server database is fairly small (left than 300M). I want to move to VPS hosting for more predictable performance. I wonder what the common choice for the database solution is. I checked out GoDaddy VPS service, which I need to install a database server myself. I would not install an expensive standard SQL Server. GoDaddy recommend MySql. For an easy migration I want to stay with SQL Server, for the SQL Server Expression edition will be my only choice. Am I right?

Thanks.

Although SQL Server Express is free, I still need to register at Microsoft after I install it in order to use it legally for free. Is this true?

I am not sure. I'm sure you can find that info on the Microsoft website or by searching.

No,
there is no need to register it anywhere.

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP2, SQL Server 2000,2005 & 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back