Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The curse of the square cursor!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorEd

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2002
US
Hi gang,
Maybe someone has run across this before. Intermittently the cursor on my Toshiba laptop turns into a semi-transparent square about a half to three quarters inch in size. Sometimes it appears to have a bar above and below it. It really drives my wife nuttso!! I ran SpyBot and Adaware and I seem to have something called Comet Cursors which I cannot seem to get rid of...Could this be the culprit? It appears to reside in the registry and I’m not sure if deleting it from the registry would be a problem. I can re-boot my laptop and the cursor will return to normal until the problem crops up again. I haven’t been able to pin point what triggers the cursor…just seems to be random. The cursor actually works but due to its size and shape, it is extremely difficult to work with. Any ideas on how to get rid of this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks…Doc

which I cannot seem to get rid of" - and what did you try?

go to control panel and deinstall the comet curser in add/remove programs.

Try turning down your hardware acceleration on your video card. This forces your machine to use a "software" cursor, instead of one being loaded into your video card memory.

If that solves the problem, you may have a bad bit of memory on your video card.

Just my $.02

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify it's owner." --Me
--Greg

Comet Cursor is plain spyware, but of the... how shall I call it?... "gentlemen" kind. When you remove it through Start->Settings->Configuration Panel->Add/Remove Programs it should, unlike other spyware, really be gone - like Lemon13 says.

You say you can't get rid of it. In this case there are two possibilities:

1) It gets downloaded from a page you regulary visit, so it reinstalls pretty fast after removal. Normally it should ask before being installed, but if at the original installation the user (you?) checked the "Trust all files from COMPANY", or something like that, box, then it will reinstall without you knowing it.
To get rid of it in this case: go in your browser to Extra -> Options -> Content (tab) -> Certificates (button) -> Trusted Sites (tab) and remove the certificate from the list. The problem is: I wouldn't know which one Comet Cursor uses. Perhaps you can find this one their website.

2) It is badly uninstalled. Easy to know: if you can't get rid of it because the uninstall gives errors (like e.g. "ERROR Couldn't find ccursor.log". In this case, reinstall comet cursor from their website and then retry uninstalling it from the Add/Remove Software menu.

Peace,

Yellow

Hey all,
One thing I like about this site is that I sometimes don't get the right answer...but it makes me sit down and continue to troubleshoot until I fix the problem...I found this site:
This worked and all is hunky-dory again. Pass it on.

Thanks...Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back