Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The best way to move Ex2k3 to new server... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

porress

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2003
GB
I have been reading the article:
But is it the best way to do it? or installing exchange it the new server and then moving the mailboxes and then reconfiguring all mail clients to the new one? I could do it during the weekend when nobody is in there. But which one is the easiest way?

Easiest is to add the new server and move the mailboxes. Configure mail to be delivered directly to the new server.

If you leave the old server up and running long enough for all of your users to connect you will not need to reconfigure the local profiles as it will happen automatically.

You can then uninstall the original server.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Once i move the mailboxes, all public folders, offline address book, schedule+ Free busy folder, forms, rus, srs and connectors like the article in ........... Now my question is...

I have tried all of these in a test network and it works with clients opening their outlook 2002 and the system reconfiguring itself, but what happens in the production network when i move all these folder and mailboxes from my old server to the new one, will i still be receiving email from my ISP?

Because my isp has an mx record for the old server but not for the new one...and what happends when i remove exchange old server? i will have to tell my isp to change the ip to the new exchange server ip or can i just change the ip of the new server once i remove the old server i could use that ip and give it to the new exchange so i dont have to call the ISP and tell them to change the MX records NO????

Typically you just redirect your NAT on your side so that any requests for the IP assigned to the MX record are directed to the new server. Not usually a good idea to change IP addresses on servers if it can be avoided.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back