Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Amazing Disapearing Cdrom Drives!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorbin1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2006
US
I was using my computer the other day, came accross a virus and let my virus scanner wipe it out! I installed Nero 7 Ultra Edition the day before and was working on setting it up. I got tired of playing with Nero and decided to try to install a new game that I happened to have backed up to CD. As I went to mount the image with alcohol 120, I noticed the mount option was greyed out. I checked settings and they allocated 2 virtual scsi dvd-drives. I then checked My computer and to my amazement all my disc drives disappeared. IDE dvd burner, Virtual dvd drives, usb dvd drive. All other usb devices work as do the ide hard drives. I tried rebooting, uninstalling cdrom drivers and rebooting, uninstall ide & usb driver & rebooting,virus scanning...what else is there?????????

There are mixes of hardware and operating systems where the bridge chips lose drivers. This was a particular problem with intel chipsets and 98SE although it shows up elsewhere.
Anything showing up as a problem in the mangler?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Hey i appreciate your help, but I was on a time limit. Me and another IT determined it was probably a virus and I reinstalled. Now that I have done that, and read your posts, I am ready to kick myself in the a@#. bcastner your post was like a kick in the mouth, now I can't beleive I reinstalled before finding that fix. Now I may only wonder if that was my problem, and will forever be playin catchup on my current install. Thanks alot guys I'm sure your posts would have helped tremendously. And just to satisfy curiosity, I do not use ZoneAlarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back