Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thanks MalcolmW, but sorry I don't quite understand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuenie

Programmer
Jul 20, 2000
HK
Thanks MalcolmW, but sorry I don't quite understand what you meant. What I have done is:<br><br>1. I linked up 2 tables with their IDs, {A.ID} and {B.ID}<br>2. I make a group for {A.ID}<br>3. Do the count on {B.ID} inside each {A.ID} Group<br><br><br>How can I get the SUM of the above count on {B.ID}?<br><br>I apologize for the oversimplified statement in the last post.<br><br>&gt;Yuenie&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br><br><br>

So you've got table A that looks like<br>ID&nbsp;&nbsp;ShoeSize<br>--&nbsp;&nbsp;--------<br>01&nbsp;&nbsp;10<br>02&nbsp;&nbsp;10.5<br>03&nbsp;&nbsp;14<br><br>Table B looks like<br>ID&nbsp;&nbsp;FavSockColors<br>--&nbsp;&nbsp;--------<br>01&nbsp;&nbsp;Black<br>01&nbsp;&nbsp;White<br>02&nbsp;&nbsp;Pink<br>03&nbsp;&nbsp;Grey<br>03&nbsp;&nbsp;Clear<br><br>So the group counts are 2, 1, and 2&nbsp;&nbsp;respectively for IDs 01, 02, and 03.<br>So you now want to sum up the group counts?&nbsp;&nbsp;That is the same as the a grand total count - just copy the count field in the group footer, and paste it into the report footer.<br>Or in a formula, put COUNT(B.ID)<br>Or create a grand total (changing the default aggregation type from Sum to Count) on B.ID.<br>Tho I don't know why you need a database to keep track of family sock preferences :)<br><br> <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thanks MalcolmW. I don't know how to answer your question since I am not the database designer!?<br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back