Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TFTP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebrez

MIS
Mar 21, 2007
US
Hey guys,

I am starting to play with Ip phones and amd reviewing the requirements for DHCP. I notice that you need Option 66 for the TFTP Server. The issue I have is TFTP is already configured for Microsoft's Desktop Deployment Tool. Avaya says the file should be in the "root" on the TFTP server, however, I specify Option 67 (TFTP File name) for the MS Software.

So, should I just put the Avaya file in the same location as the MS File? The PC's are looking for a different file to boot from, but I also specify a file name/location with Option 67. The Avaya docuemtation refers to a page (60) for more information, but the information is really vague.

You do not have to put your files in the root directory. in the DHCP string there is an option to specify the directory to use.

- Miguel

A very wise and well respected man once told me "Shut Up!".

What do you mean? I already have a file location specified in option 67 for the Desktop Laptop deployments.

Where am I specifing this new location?

Yes,

But the option 176 and option242 alow you add a subdirectory too (TFTPDIR=<sub directory of root> same for httpdir too) You can probably even use a different TFTP address by specifying it the same string

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Thats correct.

In the option 176 or 242 you can specify a tftp/http server as well as a directory on that server that the phones will look in for the settings, upgrade, and firmware files.

MCIPADD=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,MCPORT=yyyy,TFTPDIR=<path>,TFTPSRVR=zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz

or

MCIPADD=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,MCPORT=yyyy,HTTPDIR=<path>,HTTPSRVR=zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz

- Miguel

Ahh, OK got it!! Let me give it a try. i may go the http route to make sure it doesn't affect my MS deployments.

Yeah I prefer to use HTTP because the info-sec team hates TFTP. HTTP can be hosted on any web server as long as the phones can get to it.

Good luck.

- Miguel

I don't konow however, if the option 176/242 will override the option 67 setting. I've never tried!

Take Care

Matt

mattKnight, that was my exact fear... Hence my HTTP direction.

THe phones should not query for option 67. They phones are programmed to look for TFTP/HTTP settings in the option 176/242.

You should be fine as long as you specify the proper server/directory in your option string.

- Miguel

>THe phones should not query for option 67. They phones are programmed to look for TFTP/HTTP settings in the option 176/242.

That depends on the phone type.

46XX handsets do use the option 66 TFTP name field. However the docs are quite specific: if both option 66 and 176 are user, the SSON (option 176) overrides the option 66

Refer page 62 of

Take Care

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back