Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TFTP New Firmware On Brand New 2650!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsyn

MIS
Feb 26, 2007
US
Guys, I never knew that updating the firmware on a switch could be so difficult! I have the Procurve Management software (30 day trial), but navigating that thing is a mess. I can't even find where I'm supposed to flash the new firmware.

I downloaded TFTP Server and installed it on one of my Windows 2K3 Servers but everytime I try to download it through the Management Console or the CLI it doesn't work. I can ping the server from the CLI, but it won't download from the TFTP server.

Is there an easier way to do this? I don't want to have to purchase extra software for something that should be available out of the box.

Hi Arsyn

Try this
Go down to Management and Configuration Guide for the ProCurve Series 6400cl/5300xl/4200vl/3400cl Switches(October 2006) Individual chapter links, then look for Appendix A which I think is the chapter on file transferring
Before you start downloading read this chapter as it goes into detail how you connect to the tftp server. You can't do it through the console port you have to do it through the switch menu "downloading OS"
Having said that you don't indicate what type of switch you have. I have a mixture of 4108's & 5308's on site so if yours differs you need to read the appropriate HP manual

Hope this helps

Hi

okay if you can ping your server, then the upgrade will work (hopefully).

I don't know what kind of TFTP you use, but normally you have to put the Firmware *.SWI-File direct in the root of youre TFTP-Server. Then connect to youre switch via console or telnet or better if configured via ssh.

If you see a ">" use the enable-command. If you see a "#" you are right.

and then use the following command for Firmware-update:
copy flash tftp <tftp-ip> <firmewarefliename with .swi>

this will work fine, if youre TFTP will run fine.

sorry wrong way round

copy tftp fla <tftpip> <file.swi>

copy source destination ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back