Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tftp error

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAJBlaine

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2002
US
I'm copying to a tftp server from a 3600 and get this error:

TFTP: error code 2 received - Access violation

%Error opening tftp://10.108.200.28/c3620-jo3s56i-mz.121-5.YB5 (Undefined error)

I am trying to send through a firewall, but I get nothing in the log file to indicate the router is even trying to send anything.

thanks,
Blaine

Hello :

Check whether you have access to read/write to your tftp server, sometimes files are not allowed to be read by another user but root (that if you have a unix box as the tftp server)

cheers,

Yes, TFTP is allowed. I proved this by telnet'ing to the target tftp server on port 69 and saw the firewall log file populate with an "authorized" log messages.

When I run the copy command to the tftp server, I never see a deny or authorization message on the firewall. It seems to me that the router is not even trying to send anything before it errors out.

Would the ACL (which denies outside UDP traffic) potentially be blocking the router itself from sending tftp traffic?

Wait a second here... TFTP is UDP.. so in order to pass TFTP across the router, you need to either enable it or by using IP helper which enables 10 UDP protocols like DNS, TFTP, BOOTP and a few others.

You are interested in port 69 UDP

The second method is:
ip forward-protocol <protocol>

Telnet is misleading since it's TCP and is passed without any configuration.

Verify the router/firewall will forward UDP port 69

MikeS
Find me at
&quot;Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots.&quot;
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back