Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TFTP Error User CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrIPO

Instructor
Oct 23, 2003
AU
Why on some installations do I get TFTP error when i insert the User CD and the wizard starts and it trys to pull the user list from the IPO, this has happened ever since IPO was released. Does not matter if the PC is directly connected to the IPO or Not ??? i have not been ever able to narrow it down !!!

ipo.gif

I have seen this usualy on Windows NT4, clicking ok lets the instalation continue & does not seem to be a problem for operation.

I too have come across this problem.

In my instance it was caused by the customer having a second TFTP Server on his network (unknown to him!).

What was happening was that the PC where the User CD was being installed on sent out two TFTP requests, one to 192.168.42.255 (which it always does - god only knows why!) and another to the PC's subnet broadcast address(which is what it should do!). If this PC then got a response back from the customer's TFTP server (in response to the TFTP request sent out on the correct subnet broadcast address), before the in-built IP Office Manager application's TFTP server could respond, indicating that that the directory/file the PC was asking for did not exist, the User CD Installation program would stop listening out for bona fide replies and it would throw up the TFTP eror message. So sometimes I would get the error and other times not, all depended on which TFTP server answered first!

I had to run up a LAN sniffer to uncover this fault. The LAN Sniffer trace also gave a clue as to what PC the customer's TFTP Server was runningon. He never even knew that he had a TFTP service running on the rougue PC.

Hope this is of use.

Mar sin leat

endpoint
(when you get here there's no where else to go!)

Yes, the User CD install is trying to talk to the IP Office and get a list of existing users. You can then select a user from that list and the apps installed (eg. Phone Manager) will be preset for that user identity.

The error message when the TFTP fails is a little in elegant ~ I think they never thought anyone would install the software on a PC that wasn't able to access the IP Office at the time (or that there might be other TFTP servers around).

Key message though: not fatal and does no damage.

Guys,

Sorry to resurrect this post, but i'm gettting this message and it IS having a knock on effect. Basically the knock on effect is that my TAPI link software (for goldmine) does not pick up on the avaya driver - therefore preventing me from dialling from goldmine.

If anyone has a method to overcome this, i for one would be very grateful!

All the best

I have not run into that problem affecting Tapi link. Is it a new install of Tapi Link?

I have seen some sites where no matter what the TAPI link driver will not appear, under phone and modem options, It seems to be related to if the TFTP error comes up it is pot luck if the Tapi driver is installed correctly.

I think it likes to be configured with the username and password pre inserted into the Tapi driver. It this cannot be done, eg: no username selected. the installation is currupted some how.

PC rights does not make any difference, if you log on a domain admin or a account that has local right to the local pc.

This installation seems to be better with version 2 user cd compaired with 1.4 user cd.

ipo.gif

Furthe to the TFTP error in or case we have an IPO on the lan and we still get the tftp error.

My solution is to hold the return key down until it goes away.

Some one must know what this error means however I can make up a nimber which sound convinsing

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back