Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TFT/LCD for graphics? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoricelu

Technical User
Oct 17, 2001
RO
Hello and sorry if "off topic" but I thought this is the proper area to asking for help in my problem: I work with photos (graphics) a lot and I need a new display. My old CRT EIZO Flexscan is out of order and i don't know what could be better, excepting CRT displays. My budget is about $500-600 and I can't decide wether EIZO, IIyama or Samsung (eg: Samsung 215TW). PVA, S-PVA, MVA, IPS, TN...?
I just need it for graphics, no interest in games, movies etc.

Please, can anyone help me decide? Thanks.

Which format are you looking for? Standard (5:4) or widescreen (8:5)

What is the minimum number of pixels you wish to see vertically? You can pick up a 1280x1024 relatively cheaply. However, if you want 2560x1600, it can cost quite a bit.

Look at the refresh rates. Can you live with yesterday's technology of 8ms or do you need something that is 5ms or better.

Do you need to count pixels in your work? They're impossible to count on a 17" 1280x1024 monitor.

Go for a good 22inch wide screen with a <=5ms response time.

Response time is irrelevant for working with photos.

For a professional monitor I'd definitely go for an EIZO if I could afford it. Samsung and Iiyama are good but EIZO usually has the edge from the reviews I've read.

Go for an S-PVA panel with 10-bit colour if you can, assuming colour accuracy is important to you. A lot of panels, cheap and expensive, can only do 6-bit so although they may look fabulous the colours won't be accurate enough for professional work. 8-bit colour is good but 10-bit will mean you have more scope to play around with gamma.

This Wikipedia page has a lot of useful info in LCD panels.

Regards

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back