Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

texture problem, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkprince

Programmer
Jun 4, 2002
AU
please help me

what i need to do it simply texturise something with an outside image.

i made the texture i want in photoshop and want to apply it to my model but don't know how to do so.

thanks in advance.

Open the Material Editor.

Pick an empty Material Slot.

Open the Maps rollout.

Click to Diffuse Color button - whitch have "None" caption

Choose - Bitmap.

Pick the image file (3dsmax 5 can open PSD files).

Yepp! The material done.

4 e.g. Create a box - apply a UVW Map Modifier to it.

Drag and drop yer material from Material Editor to that box.

Done.

P.S. read the tutorials. Really helpfull.

Unborn

thanks a heap unbornchicken, it worked perfectly. but what does that second bit do??? i didn't understand what you meant so i didn't do it (the UVM Map Modifier bit)

thanks again

cya

You must provide texture coordinates to yer object. It means what part of the texture appear in what part of object.

Basically U can use the simple UVW Map modifier to apply texture coordinates. This defines a gizmo what maps yer texture to object. It can be planar map, box, sphere, or any basic object. Let's try the UVW Map properties to understand how it works.

The hardcore way called Unwrap UVW Map. Which way U can define the texture coordinates poly by poly.

Allthought check the tutorial, it contains an entyre section to learn texturing mechanisms in MAX. If ya ain't ha the tutorial chm file, try to use Google or something to find that file name: 3dsmax_t.chm

Good luck,

Unbornchikken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back